Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012 | 09:50 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tim,
If you want to find honest people then I would only deal with people you know and folks in PCA. I think that is the best option.

As for that 914, if they say it has some rust, it has a lot more in other places. Trust me, I know.
Old 02-24-2012 | 10:45 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Wise words. I like the "live phone feedback". Worth the extra $$. Thanks.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-26-2012 | 01:08 AM
nitrorocket
Instructor

I think many just dont know their car has a problem... I dont trust PPI's, I own my own shop and keep my vehocles 100% maintained yet I am sure a dealer will find something that would need replacing. They survive on that...
Old 02-26-2012 | 02:32 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
I think many just dont know their car has a problem... I dont trust PPI's, I own my own shop and keep my vehocles 100% maintained yet I am sure a dealer will find something that would need replacing. They survive on that...
I'm thinking some can't even recognize a problem when they have one!
Old 02-27-2012 | 12:49 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

I have a nice 84 for sale here in the classifieds if you are interested in a great car.

I have sold two Porsches to my best friend - an 85 ROW Carrera, and a 64 356C. I have a very simple policy with him - he has to take the car home for two months before I will take his money.

Also, when people want to wire me money to buy a car they have not seen, I make them wire it to my lawyer to be put in an escrow account until the buyer takes possession.
Old 02-28-2012 | 12:52 PM
art
Pro

How about honest buyers? If you know the problem described is a simple fix and don't mention it, where does that leave things? If you know you are paying less than it is worth, do you?

I always hear people talking about the lack of morality within certain groups when it is really a lack of morality across all of society, you can't cherry pick. Ready for flames!
Old 02-28-2012 | 03:46 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by art
How about honest buyers? If you know the problem described is a simple fix and don't mention it, where does that leave things? If you know you are paying less than it is worth, do you?

I always hear people talking about the lack of morality within certain groups when it is really a lack of morality across all of society, you can't cherry pick. Ready for flames!
+1^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-28-2012 | 03:50 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by UberXY
I have a nice 84 for sale here in the classifieds if you are interested in a great car.

I have sold two Porsches to my best friend - an 85 ROW Carrera, and a 64 356C. I have a very simple policy with him - he has to take the car home for two months before I will take his money.

Also, when people want to wire me money to buy a car they have not seen, I make them wire it to my lawyer to be put in an escrow account until the buyer takes possession.
Beautiful car! If my budget was $10k more it'd be a no brainer!
Old 02-28-2012 | 06:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by art

Puhlease. It is my opinion the seller really controls the sale, and whether it happens.
Old 02-28-2012 | 06:26 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Old 02-28-2012 | 06:50 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by art

When was the last time you told a seller that you would pay more after he made a simple repair?
Old 02-28-2012 | 08:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I've done hundreds of PPIs, and the seller's reaction to my finished report spoke volumes about "how much he knew." The reaction would range from near-violence against me (simply the messenger), to a quiet, "can I please leave my car with you to have those items repaired? I guess my mechanic isn't as good as I thought." I've been screamed at, and told that I was full of s*^#, but for the most part sellers seemed to be appreciative of my comments regarding their car.

I had quite a few cars change hands at my shop, with many very large checks written on my office counter. Buyers were always grateful, for both bad news and good news. Some sellers would leave the shop, outwardly calm, but very hot under the collar. Some would call us back a few days later and make an appointment for repair of the needed items. Some would even admit to getting a second opinion. Some we would never hear from again, and sometimes the car would come in with a new owner, who didn't have a PPI done.

And then there was the seller, of a 1969 911E, who advertised the car in the L.A. Times as having had "a complete engine overhaul by Red Line Service less than 3,000 miles ago." After a potential buyer called me about the car, I pulled the seller's file and verified that we had done only one, maybe two, minor services (oil & filter change + safety inspection), along with a couple of repairs that totaled less than $100. That was it. I kept absolutely accurate records for every car that entered our shop, obviously at least one seller didn't think we could.

Some sellers are decent, some are apathetic, some are ignorant of condition, some are not enthusiasts, and some are just not very nice.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 03-01-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-29-2012 | 12:07 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
I've done hundreds of PPIs, and the seller's reaction to my finished report speaks volumes about "how much he knew." The reaction would range from near-violence against me (simply the messenger), to a quiet, "can I please leave my car with you to have those items repaired? I guess my mechanic isn't as good as I thought." I've been screamed at, and told that I was full of s*^#, but for the most part sellers seemed to be appreciative of my comments regarding their car.

I had quite a few cars change hands at my shop, with many very large checks written on my office counter. Buyers were always grateful, for both bad news and good news. Some sellers would leave the shop, outwardly calm, but very hot under the collar. Some would call us back a few days later and make an appointment for repair of the needed items. Some would even admit to getting a second opinion. Some we would never hear from again, and sometimes the car would come in with a new owner, who didn't have a PPI done.

And then there was the seller, of a 1969 911E, who advertised the car in the L.A. Times as having had "a complete engine overhaul by Red Line Service less than 3,000 miles ago." After a potential buyer called me about the car, I pulled the seller's file and verified that we had done only one, maybe two, minor services (oil & filter change + safety inspection), along with a couple of repairs that totaled less than $100. That was it. I kept absolutely accurate records for every car that entered our shop, obviously at least one seller didn't think we could.

Some sellers are decent, some are apathetic, some are ignorant of condition, some are not enthusiasts, and some are just not very nice.
So true. In my case the mechanic told the seller that he would be happy to go over anything after the PPI. To this date he has not contacted the mechanic, just bad-mouthed him. "And the truth will set you free!"

Quick Reply: Where are the honest sellers???