Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Miracle of The Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Left lens was practically useless from dust on the glass and reflector; I tried the hot soapy water followed by rice/isopropyl alcohol thingie and it cleaned up pretty good. Lamp on right is new.

Two of the three locking lugs on the bulb retainer have crumbled away. Do you know if these pieces be purchased?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Great job !!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Great job !!
Thx Johnno! It's my first major reclamation spare part. Well, that and a fuel level sender. I put in a new one a few weeks ago and after the fact beat the old one back into submission. Woo hoo.

151,000 mi. So this weekend was further headlight miracles. As you suggested I fitted a headlight relay and - wow - are the new H5's brighter. Very nice add, the relay. Might postpone replacing a couple costly switches, too.

(Engine miracle: managed my first oil/filter change with barely a pint spilt all over the gargae floor; the drainplug fell from my hand and blocked the drainhole in the catchpan. I won't make that mistake again soon.

Noise miracle: finally replaced the horns after weeks of wishing to not pull out the jack and jackstands. Nice to swap out that pathetic little alto-toot for the manly squeal of tuned twin Pep Boys beepers.)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I think the stock horn is plenty loud and the proper sound for a 911-was yours damaged?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:57 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My horn doesn't sound like it used to making me think one of the horns has gone bad.

Oh, and the H4's are a gift from above.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I think the stock horn is plenty loud and the proper sound for a 911-was yours damaged?
Undamaged (Mixo Stritone/France); are the French horns original equipment? The low, full of dust/crud up the trumpet, one was crapped out. I tried requisite cleaning, buffing, polishing, contact-cleaner, sanding and nut-twisting all to no continuitiy and no avail.

I put in a pair of Wolo's from Pep Boys - very cheery.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Xpel.com for protectors.
Xpel kit for the recently new H5 lamps (filled with Sylvania Silverstar ZXE bulbs - very nice), front turn signals and foglamp glass arrived today; 30-min to read instructions, gather hair dryer, alky-water sprayer and clean the lights. 20-minutes to apply. Nice stuff Ed - thanks very much for the heads up on this product.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

My pleasure- I think they're a great company. They also support Motorsports.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

My pleasure- I think they're a great company. They also support Motorsports.
A year later. Just received some Xpel film for the BMW motorcycle headlight. This time I have to cut my own from a square foot - nothing precut.

I cannot speak highly enough about Xpel for headlights and foglights on the Porsche. The stuff scared me when it was still bubbly and milky looking after a week but, by 10-days or so, it went clear and stayed that way. The film is invisible and plenty thick for rock protection. A+ stuff.

Quick Reply: The Miracle of The Headlight