Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Miracle of The Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Miracle of The Headlight

I gotta say... if the rest of the aging 1987 Porsche experience (for the aging 1951 Porsche owner) is as challenging as the headlights, I see no possibility of boredom thru the ownership cycle. If only I'd known you simply remove a headlight bulb by first removing the four screws I didn't actually see...

Socket-left fried, lens is foggy, retainer ring is brittle and a gray adapter thingie (an originally three-lug disk that holds the bulb and locks into the reflector) which appears on no parts list and is mostly melted and crumbled away to zero lugs. While socket-right is fine, the lens has a hole in it and the gray adapter thingie is also crumbling (down to one lug). What is that gray adapter thingie called and where is it found as a replacement part, please? Is it part of a replacement lens/reflector assembly?

New bulbs and sockets are NAPA easy but there is some mystery for the uninitiated as folks familiarly speak of H-4, H-5, DOT-yes and DOT-not. Getting a replacement lens (or pair of lenses) has been put off with some creative use of JB Weld and silicone adhesive until I can crack the code and make the right next move. It appears I am merely an H5 kind of guy but, for the life of me, can't imagine why it's a $157 item. Is this just the world we live in?

I use Cee Bailey headlamp protectors on my cycle; do you all recommend similar gear for the headlight glass?

Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is plastic film available that will protect your headlights. It does a great job.

I'm not sure about H5s. If you have the "sugar scoops", then there is an H4 "mototcycle" headlight that will vastly increase your light.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Xpel.com for protectors.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by rusnak
... If you have the "sugar scoops", then there is an H4 "mototcycle" headlight that will vastly increase your light.
I got little inverted forks that surround the top half of the bulb.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

the sugar scoop is the oversize ring that hangs out in front of the lens.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Some people say that converting to H4s is an upgrade from H5s. I don't know. I think you might just try stronger bulbs, and a relay kit. The nice thing about a relay kit is that you have full power to the bulbs.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:42 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced a passenger side lens assembly yesterday and loaded her with 80/100 Watters..quite clear (literally) to me that I might as well get the other side ordered today...what a frikin difference on these H5's !!!!!!!!!!!! Tired lenses make for tired coverage,...relays make for less voltage drop,..lengthening the stalk switch's life...I'm content with the H5's (for now).

Doyle
Old 02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have H4s and a relay on my 930 - the headlights are great. After a recent rock strike, I found new H4 lenses on eBay for $40 delivered.

I love the little screw-within-a-screw that holds the second ring on. About $8 for a new one on Pelican.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You should be running xpel.com (or similar) headlight & foglight protectors...
Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

^Absolutely. I ran without them for about a week, and got little rock pitts in the lenses in a single rainy drive to Irvine. By the time I got back, I had the film on my H4s, and it has arrested all further damage. Larger stones that would have put a hole in the lenses bounce off. The film has not yellowed in 10 years of use.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that info, Ed. I just ordered my second lens...this will be 2 fresh babes on the front,..I think I should protect 'em, going forward (literally).

MAJOR frikin' difference replacing a 23 year old original lens ! (however,..no surprise there). Geeze,..it makes the car color SNAP now!!!!!!!!!! Looks like a frikin' new car, just with fresh headleamps!

Again, thanks!

Doyle
Old 04-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You should be running xpel.com (or similar) headlight & foglight protectors...
Hoi! Xpel on order; Amazon was the deal this week. I use Cee Bailey hard panels on my bike but the Xpel film looks better for the car.

I guess someone tried high-wattage bulbs along the way. My car came with one burned up headlight socket and some cooked wires on each side. There were also two verrückt headlamp lenses - the glass was on each was cracked, holed and/or pitted and the innards were pretty grungy. I siliconed the small hole, glued the bulb retainer back on, more or less convinced a bulb to stay put and rice/alcohol cleaned the more salvageable of the two. Now I have one serviceable spare. The rice really did shine up the interior.

I cleaned up the wires, spliced in new sockets, tagged on a relay and fit two new H5s with new bulbs. I squared them at 1-foot, backed off 25 more and corrected. After the old lights anything would have looked better but, price aside, these lamps are excellent. I'll try to post some pictures on light pattern, aiming and salvaging a not-quite-wasted H5.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I'll tell you from experience, stay away from the high wattage until the system is prepped (ask me how I know?),..even with a long-standing relay kit installed...the lower temp socket won't handle it....she'll burn. I've now installed high temp sockets (soldered) and 12 gauge back to the relays/fuse panel.

I have to agree with you, as to changing out a worn headlamp and seeing the results! I've loaded 2 new ones and now have fresh fog lenses with 55 watters loaded down there....the front of the car looks new!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by dshepp806
I'll tell you from experience, stay away from the high wattage until the system is prepped
Ja. A genius wrench put megawatts on my '91 Mercedes a few years ago; they melted both sockets, plastic bulb mounts and cooked some wires just like on this 911. I'm happy with the new H5 lenses and updated 45w low beams, tho. I don't reckon the Xpel film will have much affect.

Originally Posted by dshepp
I have to agree with you... I've loaded 2 new ones and now have fresh fog lenses with 55 watters loaded down there....the front of the car looks new!
Kind of depressing for me. The new glass really accentuates how bad the paint looks. I'll have to drive more after dark, I guess.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:20 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

To be honest, I think the electrical part of my system would stand up to the load (80/100W)quite easily.....my concern lies within (inside of) the Bosche H5 headlamp itself (not socket,..not wiring,....not relays,...) ,..and how inside of the headlamp itself will react to 80-100 watts. Anymone have comments on that?

My paint is soon to go,..she's due for fresh paint this year ,......the loading of the new lamp really made the 23 year old one stand out (in a bad way)....since the FOD on the hiway ALSO cracked the damned L/Fog lamp lense, I knew I'd have to replace BOTH to match.....

Yes,..dark does seem to help aging paint job!!!!!!

Best,

Doyle

Quick Reply: The Miracle of The Headlight