Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'87 Pedal Cluster Removal - need help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:32 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Pedal Cluster Removal - need help...

Ok, so once again I'm stuck on what I thought would be a simple task - silly me.

I'm replacing all of the bushings on my pedal cluster with a bronze kit from Pelican. The pedal cluster removal is 'supposed' to be a very straight forward task.

I have all four bolts off and should be able to lift the pedal cluster assembly out of the car but find it impossible to remove what looks like a stabilization rod from the cluster. It is held on by (i think) a 15mm nut on the inside and 9 or 10 mm hex bolt (i think) on the outside. -- See the two red circles on the image below... Can't get tools an either side due to other obstructions.

I feel like I'm so close to getting this thing out of the car and working on it... so frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Old 02-11-2012, 06:43 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jc, first of all, there are two studs that go forward under the car holding the master cylinder in place. I think they are 13mm. With removed and the 4 nuts mounting the base to the floor are removed, it should come out. The flat bar should come off easily as does the round one. But, I must first tell you that the 87-89 G50 pedal assemblies don't have brass bushings. I was going to change mine and found they are plastic type material and very thin. Unless they are damaged and can't be used, my suggestion is to leave them alone. There is no source , that I know of, for brass bushings for the G50 pedal assembly. You can contact Pelican, Zim's, etc., and they will tell you the same.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ron - I was able to get it removed - finally. The issue was the flat reinforcement bar - it was just very difficult to get a hex into that space... lot's of cursing and it finally came free.

I did call Pelican and they put together a kit consisting of bronze bushings to replace the original nylon versions - I'll let you know how it goes...

Quick Reply: '87 Pedal Cluster Removal - need help...