Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

For those using radar detector voltmeter function....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those using radar detector voltmeter function....

For years now, I been making use of my Passport's voltmeter function (while unit is plugged in at cig lighter. I always checked the actual cig lighter potential (at it's socket, with a Fluke VOM) and compared that to the actual battery post measurements (with the Fluke) to establish any voltage loss between these t points (cig lighter socket's always been at 0.1 VDC lower than the battery terminal potential).

This config has saved me a few years back, alerting me to two intermittent voltage spikes (via the unit's alarm), ultimately ending in an alternator and VR replacement (removed the ORIGINAL 1989 alt/VR, BTW).

Recently, I noticed that the Passport would read 14.4 VDC (or, generally higher than it used to)...not having had any alarms, nor time to investigate,..I would engage a few circuits to get that voltage down a bit.......after looking into this just now, I've dicovered that the Passport's Voltmeter function is now reading in error,..to the degree of 0.4 - 0.5 VDC !!!!!!!! All measurements verified with 2 Fluke VOMs.....at 2000 RPM, the battery posts read 13.7-13.8 VDC, while the cig lighter socket reads 13.6 - 13.7 VDC (all on the Flukes).

Just an FYI for those trusting their radar detectors to provide accurate measurements to the driver. Mine, obviously, has an issue, as of now.

I think I'm gonna' go ahead and get that clock out of there and install a voltmeter (maybe a combinational gauge...)

AGAIN,..just an FYI.

BEST to all!

Doyle
Old 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM
masterdave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a though,

I have seen people install Volt meters in to the center console, either under the AC ***** or if they dont have AC, where the ***** would be, this keeps you from having to remove the clock.

Regards
Dave
Old 02-04-2012, 03:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the combo gauge idea, say a modified tach.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

hollywood speedo will do a modified tach with a voltmeter. looks really sharp. i just added a vm under the lighter i did a little article on it i think a few years ago
Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 PM
pingman
Advanced

Good to see some of the people that have helped me over the years are still here. Pingman here. Still not in a P car yet, but have never stopped loving them and looking at them. I have found out that I can afford a vacation home though. My wife lives in Ga. close to Mr. Shep, I live in Az. close to Calif. Just wanted to say hi and thanks to all the ones that helped me out a year or so ago. Whalebird, DeShepp, Iceman, Mr Pete, Rusnak, and the honorable? Mr Bray! Thanks, Mark
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very informative. I like the N.Hollywood idea; I had no idea they did such. There are endless options for fitting a voltmeter But I like the idea of an analog, I wonder if N. Hollywood could mount a needle in a turbo tach face where the boost gauge would be? Or is that what they already do?
Pingman, it's good to see you here and hope all is well with you. Still have the Bronco?
Dshepp...going to be in ATL. second week of March. I'll email details. Hope everything is going well with you too. The latest News, weather and sports/Bubba's Book Club is a good read if you haven't indulged already.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 PM
pingman
Advanced

Yes whale, I do still have the Bronco. But it is in Ga not getting much love right now. But I needed a four wheel drive for the snow out here in the mountains. So you know what I bought, a '96 Bronco of course!
Now I have two, a '94 and a '96. Kinda reminds you of the two Porsche's I had don't it. My wife says I always have to have two of everything. I asked what her point was. Then I asked about maybe another female companion, that's when the fight started.........
HaHa, Mark

Quick Reply: For those using radar detector voltmeter function....