Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2nd real dumb question of 2012.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Question 2nd real dumb question of 2012.

So I put new tires and spacers on my car and have quite a bit of shimmy and shimmer at 60mph and above. Have not had an alignment done but figure since the seller had 45's and not 55's on the front as it is now, that could also explain the problem. Also should an alignment be done through a P-Car shop or can most tire stores perform adequately? Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, the only place I would take it is to a reputable Porsche shop. Other shops say they can align Porsches, but in my 44 years of Porsche ownership, I've only found one. Do you have a local Porsche shop. Sounds to me like you need a 4 wheel alignment and front end checkout. Also, check into corner balancing. You need to recheck the tires to ensure they are mounted and balanced correctly. There's a lot of variables, but a good reputable Porsche shop should be able to tell you where the problem lies/lays.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:53 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Got to remember that this is Maine. Closest P Shop is 100 miles away, but will call them tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A frame alignment shop can usually do it also, but you must be very selective about which shop performs this procedure.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Tim, the only place I would take it is to a reputable Porsche shop. Other shops say they can align Porsches, but in my 44 years of Porsche ownership, I've only found one. Do you have a local Porsche shop. Sounds to me like you need a 4 wheel alignment and front end checkout. Also, check into corner balancing. You need to recheck the tires to ensure they are mounted and balanced correctly. There's a lot of variables, but a good reputable Porsche shop should be able to tell you where the problem lies/lays.
Originally Posted by rusnak
A frame alignment shop can usually do it also, but you must be very selective about which shop performs this procedure.

Will it hurt the car to drive it the 100 miles to the shop or should I have it flatbeded?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

pfft....100 miles is not a problem. You should see my wacked out alignment. Just kidding! If it's tracking well, then you might be ok. My concern would be for the brand new tires!!! OTOH, flatbedding a 100 miles is not cheap either.....
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

If the spacers are too thick, then the wheel has no way to "register" into the hub. The wheels are hub-centric.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:02 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
If the spacers are too thick, then the wheel has no way to "register" into the hub. The wheels are hub-centric.

Car tracks well. Hub centric, what is that? I put 3/4 inch spacers on the front and 1.25 inch on the rear. Looks real cool though!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tim, when you say "spacers," do you mean spacers between the hubs and wheels? If yes, who did the longer lug nut studs? And are you sure that the studs were put in correctly? And why did you do this? And why isn't the car going back to the tire/wheel installer for a proper balance?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:39 PM
mclmk8d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, if you are coming down here, Kevin recommended a shop near his shop called AMF. They do high-speed balancing and fixed the shimmy I had at 60+ mph. Let me know if you need their number
Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

You are in a cold climate where the car sat for a week-ish, right. I would bet money you have a flat spot that will disappear once the tires warm up.

My Targa develops flat spots and a shimmy at 80 then disappears when warm. Also, certain stretches of road make it more pronounced.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Tim, when you say "spacers," do you mean spacers between the hubs and wheels? If yes, who did the longer lug nut studs? And are you sure that the studs were put in correctly? And why did you do this? And why isn't the car going back to the tire/wheel installer for a proper balance?
The spacers had their own studs which the tires mounted to. Why, I liked the more aggressive look without lowering. I had the tires mounted + balanced and I installed them. Might be because the car did sit for 2 weeks. I put summer performance tires on. Could that cause it even though it was 40 today but the car is stored in a 60+ degree garage?

Originally Posted by mclmk8d
Tim, if you are coming down here, Kevin recommended a shop near his shop called AMF. They do high-speed balancing and fixed the shimmy I had at 60+ mph. Let me know if you need their number
Coming down with the minivan, joy! Wife and kids are flying down. I get 4-5 days of peace and quiet!!! My wife will drive it home and I'll follow her in your, oh I mean my new car!!! What city are you in?

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
You are in a cold climate where the car sat for a week-ish, right. I would bet money you have a flat spot that will disappear once the tires warm up.

Only drove it about 15 miles today but it was in a 60 degree garage. Could be flat spots?

My Targa develops flat spots and a shimmy at 80 then disappears when warm. Also, certain stretches of road make it more pronounced.
Only drove it about 15 miles today but it was in a 60 degree garage. Could be flat spots?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,
What is the close shop in Maine you are referrring to up there? I can make some suggestions or at least put you in contact with Ray Ayer in Gardner (sp) that can point you in a direction. Ray knows EVERYONE in Maine when it comes to high end sports cars (esp. Porsche).
Old 02-10-2012, 08:59 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Tim,
What is the close shop in Maine you are referrring to up there? I can make some suggestions or at least put you in contact with Ray Ayer in Gardner (sp) that can point you in a direction. Ray knows EVERYONE in Maine when it comes to high end sports cars (esp. Porsche).
I was referring to the P shop in Gardner. Is that Ray?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume so. If it is Ray Ayer's place he is very good!

Quick Reply: 2nd real dumb question of 2012.