Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2nd real dumb question of 2012.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:04 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Ayer European Auto Surgeons.......guess that would be him!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I would assume so. If it is Ray Ayer's place he is very good!

How do you know Ray?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sh**can the spacers and see how it behaves. These spacers are going to cause you big problems, and I mean BIG.
This will give you an idea:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrub_radius
Other problems are on the way if you continue with the spacers and don't compensate with different wheels. Sorry if this is bad news.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
Sh**can the spacers and see how it behaves. These spacers are going to cause you big problems, and I mean BIG.
Other problems are on the way if you continue with the spacers and don't compensate with different wheels. Sorry if this is bad news.

So how do people get away with spacers and keep their original wheels?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I'm not sure they do get away with it for long.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Remove the spacers and see if you have a shimmy. If you don't, the problem lies with the spacers. If not, it is either wheel/tire problem or a suspension problem.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bingo. That's where I was going with my earlier post, then forgot to follow up. Tim, when I had my shop we would not install those spacers for a customer, and wrote a warning on every repair order for the very rare car that might have had them fitted by others.

BTW; HRE Wheels will use your wheel centers and create any offset that you might want. The 17" x 10" rears on my PCA Club Race car were done by them...the point in the video that you want is at about 1:15. Enjoy!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW, that is a fun video!!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann

BTW; HRE Wheels will use your wheel centers and create any offset that you might want. The 17" x 10" rears on my PCA Club Race car were done by them...the point in the video that you want is at about 1:15. Enjoy!

Was this during the shooting for Overdrive?

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-11-2012, 12:31 PM
whalebird
Race Car

That is a fun video...the chick is all yappy at first, but gets real quiet after you 'turn it up' a bit.
HRE are AWESOME wheels. I am not sure they are still doing the Fuchs, but if so, they would be my first choice. I like the idea of the Alton reproductions but have no experience with them...that could be another option.
One of the best options(and I'm assuming Tim that you are looking for a more aggressive 'look')is to find a pair of 9" wide Fuchs for the rear of your car. You can keep the 7s up front, or move the current 8s up front, but you will have to have a good body shop roll the inside lip of the front fenders for the 8s.
I am not certain that simply removing the spacers to see if the problem goes away is an altogether confirmation of THE problem. The substantial increase in offset you've introduced to the suspension could be amplifying an existing problem. The additional stress you have introduced to the steering and suspension components may be highlighting aged/worn original parts.
I do urge you to retain the proper offset regardless of wheel choice(given you retain the original outside tire diameter). The BIG problems I refer to include premature fr/rr wheel bearing failure, tie rod/steering rack/steering shaft failure, snapped sway bar mounts, dive/squat during braking/acceleration...and catastrophic failure of struts and spindles.
I feel strongly about this as a safety issue primarily, but also your long term enjoyment of the car could be impacted. After a cross-continental drive on the wrong sized front tires, and the recent addition of wheel spacers, I think you may have only put a few miles on this car in it's 'natural' state...give it a chance in stock form.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by irobertson
Was this during the shooting for Overdrive?
Yes, which, unfortunately, turned out to be one of the worst movies ever filmed! But getting a number of free laps at Willow was worth it!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Yes, which, unfortunately, turned out to be one of the worst movies ever filmed! But getting a number of free laps at Willow was worth it!
and pulling that gal out of her seat was priceless. It's funny when the camera is pointing at the glovebox when she's trying to film the track.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

and pulling that gal out of her seat was priceless. It's funny when the camera is pointing at the glovebox when she's trying to film the track.
LOL, that lovely voice belongs to my very lovely wife, and she was a really good sport doing the intro and filming. I'm not sure which of us had more fun that weekend! BTW; she is very quick in a 911, and has turned some really good lap times at Streets of Willow!
Old 02-11-2012, 02:21 PM
whalebird
Race Car

A lovely voice indeed. Everyone appears to be enjoying themselves and that is the basis of my comments...I shall digress from poking fun at her. I will say that riding along on track-laps is not easy. There is a fine line between fun and fright. I don't think I could hold a camera and stay in my seat either; good on her.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:28 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Bingo. That's where I was going with my earlier post, then forgot to follow up. Tim, when I had my shop we would not install those spacers for a customer, and wrote a warning on every repair order for the very rare car that might have had them fitted by others.

Then what is the spacer market for and how does it survive? I feel an important lesson coming on here!

Quick Reply: 2nd real dumb question of 2012.