Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

porsche mechanic school

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:31 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default porsche mechanic school

Whats the best school for a young guy who wants to learn how to repair Porsche's. I thought perhaps Germany has the best but I really don't know.
Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Some may disagree, but my thoughts are go find an independent shop that specializes in German marques and see if you can get a job/apprenticeship. Sweeping floors, cleaning parts, whatever is needed. Show you can bust your *** and are willing to learn and everyday you will learn something new about each car they have in there. Years later you will be the wrench everyone wants to go to.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:06 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Training

Originally Posted by bcgreen
Whats the best school for a young guy who wants to learn how to repair Porsche's. I thought perhaps Germany has the best but I really don't know.
Thanks
We have a very good friend, who in the early 90's, after a few years of loading & unloading trucks at the factory completed the 1½ year long factory mechanic apprentice program.

Ongoing conversations have suggested a very thorough corriculum.

He has since evolved to another assignment.

So, as per SeanR, you have to pay your dues...........

Last edited by 1986 Targa; 02-05-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

If you want to learn to work on older cars, Sean is spot on. Nobody is teaching on the old technology, IMO.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Renn Wrench
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trainig in Germany would be VERY difficult. A more realistic approach is through a school called Universal Technical Insititute, They have an after graduate program called Porsche Technology Apprenticeship Program which is taught in Atlanta at Porsche North America headquarters so obviously it is factory backed. You get more factory training in a year than most dealer techs can squeeze in after 10 years. It is definately the way to go if working for a Porsche dealer is what your after. I speak from experience. pm me if you have more questions
The following users liked this post:
oregon951 (11-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2012, 01:18 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

If they ever have classes again, I would start with Jerry Woods/Bruce Anderson's classes.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Universal Technical Institute is five minutes from my house here in Rancho Cucamonga. Love that place.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:57 AM
JH
AutoX

I wasn't aware that they stopped running it, but: Woods and Anderson had a good class, but best if you already had a pretty thorough mechanical background. This class is designed around the guy that already has a good working knowledge of engine theory and 911's. Anderson adds the road show trivia with parts and photos from all kinds of stuff, and a wealth of personal information. It's a small shop that does some serious work on cars. The class seemed like it was a bit in Jerry's way. (maybe that's why it isn't happening now)Folding chairs in a work bay. No classrooms here. I attended several years ago, and while I enjoyed it, I wouldn't recommend it to the novice, or suggest that once attending you could go hang your shingle and start working on Porsche's. It's a week long gig, unless you add the tranny class. Food was pretty good. After class time with Woods...priceless.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:10 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind that the dealership gig has changed in profile. For me, I went thru the PCA classes as a dealer tech, but I had already had years in independent shops. What PCA wanted to see was an aptitude, experience, and a certain amount of training. I had to take a test to get accepted into the program including product knowledge and history. They also liked to see ASE certification of which I had none at that time. I did have 500 or so hours of Mercedes factory training prior to being accepted into Porsche school. Things changed while I was in the dealership network though. UTI coupled with the factory (both Benz and Porsche) to offer model specific programs. After completing this program, you very well could be offered placement in a dealership buy the factory.
What I saw on the line back at the dealer was that the new graduates were given the job at a MUCH less pay rate. Myself being a top tier tech working on commission, I began to see new guys getting all the good work as it kept payroll down for the dealer. My paycheck just kept getting smaller. This forced me and every single other senior tech at our dealer to seek work at the independent level. I had standing offers from both Porsche and Benz to be placed at another dealer. In fact, both factory reps made my former dealer drive them to my indie shop so they could offer me this. It made me feel good that the factories recognized my service. I didn't accept, but was told the offer would be kept open.
My test scores and personal interaction with the factory reps/training made this possible(and other specific situations)...so hit it hard whichever route you choose.
You will not learn how to adjust valves or set points.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:37 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Universal Technical Institute is five minutes from my house here in Rancho Cucamonga. Love that place.

Thought it was 6 Doug?
Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Thought it was 6 Doug?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:25 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
If they ever have classes again, I would start with Jerry Woods/Bruce Anderson's classes.
It's not likely they'll ever do it again. I talked to Bruce back in early 2010 to see if they would be having one that year, and he said they don't have any more plans for it, due to health reasons (he didn't elaborate on that).

His website still shows the schedule for 2009 and hasn't been updated since. I think they're both done with it.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posed a similar question a few years back when my son showed interest in becoming a mechanic (Porsche) and he had talked to UTI for training. It was interesting what I found out from UTI graduates who frequent Rennlist. Some would not go on record about their experience but were nice enough to contact me via PM.

I also talked to my own mechanic who has a Porsche only independent shop. The problem I had was the price of tuition to get my son through their program, which BTW didn't include the Porsche certification. For the Porsche cert you had to be at the top of your class (as it should) and get a referral from the instructors, then you would go through the Porsche program.

Anyway, I have nothing bad to say about UTI but you should know what you're getting for your money. My mechanic did have some positive comments about WyoTech (sp).

Here's the link to the thread in OT: https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...uti-grads.html
Old 02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

The good news that I see here is that we still have some kids actually want to turn a wrench and not design computer games. The friends that I know in machine shop work, sheet metal work, vehicle repair all complain that no one wants to learn the trade/get dirty. However, when I learned to turn a wrench, by necessity, the VW bug and the US iron was not what one considerers complicated compared to today’s mechanical challenges. And, the dealers are becoming stingier and the pay checks are smaller. I have a friend that has been a MB dealer mechanic since he got back from Viet Nam. The money is not there any more, and he will not be either when he gets his Social Security. Buy, fix and sell, any thing with wheels on it, is not an option for many kids, but it does get you in the game, and if you are quick, you can stay in the game sometimes for life. I did.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:51 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Sounds like a lot of professions. More training at higher cost with lower pay and benefits.

Quick Reply: porsche mechanic school