Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

porsche mechanic school

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

+1 on the independent route.

I was in the same boat 7-8 years ago, and I was lucky enough to find a local independent shop to take me in and train me, even though they were not necessarily hiring at the time. Enthusiasm and a willingness to start at the bottom and work your way up are key. I started out sweeping the floors, running errands, driving customers, and whatever else needed to be done. I have learned from some of the best in the business, and I still learn something every day. We get to work on every Porsche made, from 356s to the latest Cayennes and Panemeras and GT3s, and everything in between.

Check with your local community colleges. Some offer excellent automotive technology programs, like Santa Barbara City College does here. I received excellent training for a fraction of the cost of UTI, and the local colleges are well connected with the local dealerships and shops who are looking for apprentices.

My best advice would be to learn the basics on old cars, learn how an engine and an electrical circuit actually work and go from there. Today's cars are very complicated electronically, and you need to be extremely proficient in the ins and outs of electrical systems. However, I feel that many of today's younger dealership techs do not know how to diagnose anything without a scan tool and a guided trouble tree. One of the most important skills that you will need to have is the ability to think critically and logically, sometimes outside the box if need be. Learn exactly how the systems in the car work! You would be surprised at the number of experienced techs that lack basic fundamental understanding of how things work . . . .

Anyway, good luck, and have fun. Cars will be around for years to come, and people who know how to fix them will be in demand. It is also a job that cannot be outsourced.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

They are not even called mechanics any more. They are technicians now. Mentoring might be nice but you are going no where without documentstion these days. I would suggest combining a technical degree/ diploma of your choice while spending your weekends/ nights appreniicing or volunteering at a local shop as droops did.

It's not gonna be easy but you have to pay your dues as mentioned and be prepareed to work hard.
if you have a mechanically aptitude to start off with it will be easier.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:02 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a few lucky breaks. I had been wrenching on air cooled VWs including my own Ghia. I built the engine and drag raced it all thru my mid-teens with the help of a good friend and his father. In retro, his father took time on every friday and Saturday night to keep me and his son busy on our cars, which in turn kept us out of trouble. I learned how to build a motor and trans from this guy. I sold the Ghia and picked up and E21 BMW which I lowered/sway bars/exhaust etc but was getting parts for this car from Autometrics. One day I pulled up to Autometric for some parts and Gordon asked me if I would like to help out. He liked what I had done to my BMW and needed some part time help. I accepted and the rest of the story is great (one of my first projects at AM was helping a full restoration of an ex-Peter Gregg 73 RS(sportomatic). A couple of decades later it has been my carrer. I owe deep gratitude to Gordon at Autometrics for giving me a shot, but also Mr. Bartleson for keeping us kids busy, otherwise my life would have been a whole lot different and I would not be here posting in this forum.
Most certainly pick a GOOD shop(one that is established, clean, big enough to carry payroll so to be able to fit you in) and walk up and ask for work. IF you have aptitude great; but enthusiasm, attitude, and work ethic will trump ability everytime. You don't have to have experiance.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:07 PM
oregon951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you gone to this school?

Originally Posted by Renn Wrench
Trainig in Germany would be VERY difficult. A more realistic approach is through a school called Universal Technical Insititute, They have an after graduate program called Porsche Technology Apprenticeship Program which is taught in Atlanta at Porsche North America headquarters so obviously it is factory backed. You get more factory training in a year than most dealer techs can squeeze in after 10 years. It is definately the way to go if working for a Porsche dealer is what your after. I speak from experience. pm me if you have more questions
Old 11-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by oregon951
have you gone to this school?
How about being a little attentive? This thread is 8 years old, and the person that posted that made 2 posts, the last in 2012.
The following users liked this post:
oregon951 (11-10-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 09:18 PM
oregon951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The UTI in Atlanta for the Porsche apprenticeship?

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
How about being a little attentive? This thread is 8 years old, and the person that posted that made 2 posts, the last in 2012.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oregon951
The UTI in Atlanta for the Porsche apprenticeship?
You responded to a post from almost 8 years ago, asking a question of someone who hasn't been back since. What don't you understand?
Old 11-10-2019, 09:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Looks like you haven’t been around much here. When searching and looking at threads, take a glance at the date on the last post. It’s typically not worth digging one up that is this old. If you have interest in this, start a fresh post, and get more timely input. These no charge for new threads.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:19 PM
Straightedge
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates?
mom looking for training courses to rebuild Porsche engines
looking to open shop and start doing business
Old 11-25-2019, 11:33 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

My advice hasn't changed.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Looks like you haven’t been around much here. When searching and looking at threads, take a glance at the date on the last post. It’s typically not worth digging one up that is this old. If you have interest in this, start a fresh post, and get more timely input. These no charge for new threads.
plus i think one guy might be in prison ... so......
Old 12-03-2019, 11:13 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
plus i think one guy might be in prison ... so......
Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

inquiring minds will have to research then.,
Old 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ice, I had missed that. I'm shocked, to say the least.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Ice, I had missed that. I'm shocked, to say the least.
yeah pretty sad for the victims.
The following users liked this post:
Ed Hughes (12-04-2019)

Quick Reply: porsche mechanic school