Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dimmer switch sticking, only going intermittently into high beam

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
austin9111
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dimmer switch sticking, only going intermittently into high beam

I recently got my old 911 (1973.5 CIS T in that endearing gold color) running again after about 8 years. The headlights have always been an issue for me. I finally figured out one problem (a fuse on one of the low beams had very high resistance even though it showed continuity -- very weird and last thing I would have expected, finally figured out by measuring DC current and not just voltage, though the 15+ amps of DC current nearly fried my cheap multimeter).

Anyhow, I still have a problem with the dimmer switch, which will not provide continuity when pushed forward to the high beam position. I took apart the switch stalk and looking deep inside the switch saw a little copper contact blade that I pushed back a little. Viola, the pin controled by the switch handle would now drop, and that little contact arm carrying the current would drop to the high beam contact position.

However, whenever I pull the switch back to the flash position, the pin arm mechanism gets stick again, requiring that little copper contact/blade to be pushed back again.

Any ideas on how to get a permanent fix for this?
Old 01-31-2012, 07:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ir-thread.html

Quick Reply: Dimmer switch sticking, only going intermittently into high beam