Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 pedal spacing

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:29 PM
veduta
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 911 pedal spacing

I've been hunting for a used 911 and hoping to be in a position to pull the trigger soon. I've test driven two recently, 79" SC and a 77 S. I haven't driven many others to this point but have noticed on all that the Gas pedal and the brake especially are so close together that my rather wide feet were having a hard time not getting tangled up. For those of you with wide feet, do you get used to this or wear the most narrow shoes you own to drive? Is there a mod that widdens the pedals a little? Any tips on dealing with it or getting used to it. I would never let it keep me from buying the right 911. I must have one and soon. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:25 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a reason that sports cars have closely aligned brake and throttle pedals.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 PM
veduta
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I realize that, but does everyone who enjoys their 911 heel/toe?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:06 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by veduta
I realize that, but does everyone who enjoys their 911 heel/toe?
My opinion only here. I can't imagine why one earth one wouldn't. I can't imagine driving a car without doing so, and I most certainly can't imagine driving one of our cars without doing so.

If we spent half as much time learning how to properly drive as we did worrying about different polishes and waxes, we'd all be better off.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a good excuse to buy Piloti driving shoes, if nothing else.

normal width, but I wear size 13, so I know what you mean. You get used to it--there's enough room to drive comfortably and competently.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:38 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

There are no mods to widen the spacing.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've driven mine thousands of miles with size 11 high top boots with no problem. I'm weird though.

There is this: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...eel-toe-3.html
Old 01-28-2012, 06:22 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

If you don't track your car, there really isn't a reason to heel and toe. I certainly don't want to be behind someone on a public road who is threshold braking and downshifting. Yikes.

That said, you'll get used to the pedals. And even if you're not thinking about it now, you might very well reach a point where you want to take your 911 out on a track.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Amen
Old 01-29-2012, 10:39 PM
mstier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Size 12, D in the front, B in the heel, which makes buying shoes interesting. Never had a problem, even with insulated hiking boots. You just have to be a little more careful in those. And yes, I'll cut it real close and heel/toe it on the street, in situations where there's nobody around and it's safe so it's only my butt on the line. There's even a place in densely packed northern NJ where you can do a real nice run, in an area you couldn't have imagined. That's the point, right?
Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does get a little used to, espescially with 12.5 size shoes. My early scare points where you have the break pedal down some, clutch in as you are coming to a light and the side of right your root is reving the gas,...you come up to that intersection stop log the engine is sounding loud, pedestrians are looking nervious, but car stops fine. Wow was that close?

Think driving shoes as mentioned work the best a rubber flip flops are really bad.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:54 PM
mstier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, there are some times when it's just not a good time to heel/toe, and when you're wearing flip-flops is one of them. Take 'em off and drive barefoot.

When I did Skip Barber about nine years ago, I was wearing a pair of reasonably compact sneakers, but they still got caught on the pedals and made me spin out, a sensation I'll never forget. When I got back to pit road, the guys had me get out and take my shoes off, and they put athletic tape around my feet over my socks, which was basically like driving with bare feet.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm one of the guilty party who heel/toe on the street

I've been doing it since I was 15 and got hold of the Bob Bondurant book at 14. I read "The Unfair Advantage" at 12, and got hooked on all things Porsche immediately.

I never drive the Porsche with my workboots, and can't drive so good with running shoes. My shoes of choice are Ecco mesh shoes which look like driving shoes, or Rockport, which have a thin sole and allow fine ball/ little toe control of the pedals. I think I'm even weirder than Doug in this regard.

Quick Reply: 911 pedal spacing