Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'72 911 Brake warning Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002 | 11:08 AM
frankd
Advanced

Post '72 911 Brake warning Light Question

I have a question about the brake warning light on my instrument panel located next to the oil pressure guage.

My car is a 1972 911T with a stock motor. At a recent driver's ed event the light came on flashing. My brakes worked fine however I pulled in and after a few minutes the light went out.

The owner's manual is not real clear. I thought this light was an indicator for when the emergncy brake was engaged and would flash. I thought that maybe this switch was inadvertantly triggered during my run. Or did I really have a brake issue. Just before my run I topped off my brake fluid with just a tad of fluid.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to how this warning light is supposed to work.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS for those who have not gone to Summitt Point it is a blast!!
Old 08-28-2002 | 09:20 AM
Trak Ratt
Instructor

I checked our ‘71s owners manual & didn’t see anything specific about the parking light also being used to warn about lost brake pressure. But I remember reading some where that it is? I think all cars built after ’68 w/dual brake systems are required to have the light & should have a pressure switch on the master cylinder similar to the old style brake light switches. One way to test it is to put pressure on the brake pedal over night by jamming something between it & the wheel. If the light was trying to warn you about lost pressure in the master cylinder, what ever you use between wheel & pedal will fall out of place. Since you’re close enough to go to Summitt why not bring the car to “Potomac’s” next Tech & we can check it out?
Old 08-28-2002 | 10:50 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure if my SC is exactly the same, but I just went through a similar situation. In my car at least the same light signals the parking brake and a pressure drop in the master cylinder. First thing was to check the hand brake for wiring. After that I flushed the fluid and reset the light by pulling the battery cable for a few seconds. After a few days light was came back on. I then replaced the front, ie. easier to replace, brake warning switch on the M/C. Light went out for about 1 week and came back on. I replaced the rear switch about 2 weeks ago and the light is still out.

Quick Reply: '72 911 Brake warning Light Question