911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Opinions wanted on Waterless Spray-on Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Rinse, wash, rinse, dry, wax. If conditions dictate I can't do that It will stew in it's own filth till I can.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

W00t, I'll have to check out that ONR washing method in more detail. I saw it mentioned somewhere but I am not very familiar with it. Sounds like a good alternate to my original query.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Exactly right. When people ask opinions on a waterless wash they often mean any kinda wash where you don't have to drag the hose out, wash down the entire car and deal with a puddle of water after the wash. That's why I like to talk to them about the other wash, the rinseless wash. When I use ONR, it just takes me just two buckets of water (ie 4 gallons) and hardly any more than a few drops of water on the floor when I am all done. Personally I would take a rinseless ONR anyday over the Griot's spray on car wash which is nothing but a more concentrated version of their speed shine. I use their spray on car wash to remove superficial dust. Whenever there is something more than that on the car, ONR is the way to go IMO. I wish I had some before pics for you. Believe me, the car had tons of residue coating the entire body panel from 140 miles of driving over snoqualmie pass and this is after my ONR last night. My drying towel after ONR wash did not even have a spec of dirt.
Beautiful car!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

w00t-
No doubt your detailing opinions are respected on this forum but I can't believe you said "Griot's Spray On Car Wash is nothing more than just a concentrated version of their Speed Shine". That's just wrong.

Speed Shine is designed to be used with paint cleaning clay. Look at any of the clay containing kits and you'll see Speed Sign.

Spray On Car Wash is designed to wash your car when it is to cold outside and/or if you live in a water restricted area. These are two different products designed with two different goals in mind.

You like ONR, great but slamming Griot's with that kind of misinformation doesn't seem fitting.

Last edited by Andy Kay; 01-10-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, Speed Shine was designed to be a quick detailer, which it is. It just so happens that it is also recommended as a clay lubricant. I can't comment on w00t's claim.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Kay
w00t-
No doubt your detailing opinions are respected on this forum but I can't believe you said "Griot's Spray On Car Wash is nothing more than just a concentrated version of their Speed Shine". That's just wrong.

Speed Shine is designed to be used with paint cleaning clay. Look at any of the clay containing kits and you'll see Speed Sign.

Spray On Car Wash is designed to wash your car when it is to cold outside and/or if you live in a water restricted area. These are two different products designed with two different goals in mind.

You like ONR, great but slamming Griot's with that kind of misinformation doesn't seem fitting.
Andy, I seriously did not want you to think that I slammed a Griot's product. Let me clarify further my dear friend. I know that you probably are a big fan of Griot's but all I can tell you is there is not a bigger fan of Griot's garage than me. Last I counted, I have over 70 Griot's products in my detailing arsenal (you name it and I have it) and have spent several hours at their workshop (including spending some time talking to Richard Griot himself as you can see from this picture) and their lead detailer. Their detailer was the one who who told me that spray on car wash is a concentrated version of speed shine. So I am not the one giving you the misinformation. Just relaying what was told to me by their own folks. It has got absolutely nothing to do with my liking or disliking to ONR. Speed shine and spray on car wash are both designed to clean any painted surface of the car. Their speed shine is an instant detailer to be used on light dust and the spray on car wash is designed to take out the road grime hence more concentrated version of speed shine which makes perfect sense as it glides the heavy dirt away into their plush microfiber towels.

You only know too well that one needs a lubricant to clay bar and it so happens that their speed shine dons the role of the lubricant too (that too very well along with their very nice dtailing clay). Hence the speed shine happens to be part of their claying kit. I really feel disappointed that my post was miscontrued by my good friend. Gosh, I wish I could develop a little thicker cyber skin. (You can make ammends by taking me for a ride in your beautiful 911). I have used their spray on car wash atleast on 100 occasions and I love it. But give me a flat nonmetallic painted black car loaded with snow and salt, I will wash it with ONR without a single swirl. You probably could do it with spray on car wash but it will take a heck of a lot of their towels and more effort. That's the reason I prefer ONR over the Griot's product for such washes. Long live Richard Griot for bringing out the detailer in all of us including me who is a very busy professional just like you.

Tim, thanks for the complement on the C4s. This shot just for you... fresh after a waterless bath ... this time with Griot's spray on car wash
Attached Images   

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 01-11-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, that second picture is Fantastic! Car looks like it's worth twice the price with Griot's WCW!!! LOL
Old 01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

OP here...

Thanks for all the input on this topic. I'm definitely going to pick up some of the Griot's Spray-on Car Wash (I have an Xmas gift cert to use.) It'll look good on the shelf next to all the other Griot's products I have.

Sounds like there's a place for the ONR as well. Thanks Amar! (W00t).

BTW, your 997 looks great - I especially like it with the black wheels.
Maybe not as iconic as our 3.2 Carreras, but still gorgeous!
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

After a run today. Griot's Waterless Car Wash followed by Speedshine. Niiiiiiiiiiice!
Attached Images      
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Tim, that looks great! With a black car, I'm sure you'll be using lots of the stuff!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:06 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Ordering by the gallon tonight!......both products.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I use a power washer for initial rinse which does not use a lot of water. Then hand wash.

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on Waterless Spray-on Car Wash