Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Opinions wanted on Waterless Spray-on Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on Waterless Spray-on Car Wash

The 'car care' forum looks like it does not get much traffic, so I thought I'd post this here instead.

Just looking for some opinions on the Waterless Spray-on Car Wash products out there. Would you use this on your car? Any experience with the stuff?

I like Griot's products, so this is the one I'm thinking about: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Thanks,
Old 01-09-2012, 11:27 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera3.2LG50
The 'car care' forum looks like it does not get much traffic, so I thought I'd post this here instead.

Just looking for some opinions on the Waterless Spray-on Car Wash products out there. Would you use this on your car? Any experience with the stuff?

I like Griot's products, so this is the one I'm thinking about: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Thanks,
Hi Paul,

Interesting question in light of my Griot's mega assortment Santa brought. My car had sat for 2 weeks after my 2200 mile drive home. Too cold here to wash with water so out came Griot's Waterless Car Wash. It came with their micro fiber towel made for the product. I was very skeptical before starting. Then I started and OMG. The product is amazing! It felt like a spray wax. I was worried about scratching but it lifts the dirt off the paint before you wipe off. The supplied mf towel is unbelievable also.

The other products I have tried are Speed Shine, a coconut smelling spray wax. Wheel Cleaner Spray and tire dressing. I love all of Griot's products. They have videos for most of their products, watch them.

I'm looking forward to using their other products. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

i have heard good things about opti no rinse or something. a lot of our guys use it over the winter.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
so out came Griot's Waterless Car Wash. It came with their micro fiber towel made for the product. I was very skeptical before starting. Then I started and OMG. The product is amazing!
Thanks Tim, that's good to hear.

Originally Posted by theiceman
i have heard good things about opti no rinse or something. a lot of our guys use it over the winter.
Ice, I'll check that out as well. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Hi Paul. How's life. Belated happy new year. I love Griot's spray on car wash but my wife would not let me wash those dirty green microfiber towels (it takes 8 to 10 towels per wash) at home and that led to my research on alternative rinseless wash methods. Now Optimum no rinse is the product of my choice especially when there is enormous amount of road grime in the winter season. It results in an absolutely spot free finish without any swirls even on the black Cayenne
( I shine light at several angles each time after ONR use to see if I induced any swirls as I always obsess). I use a two bucket method inside my garage with a space heater. Fill up the wash bucket with warm water and ONR, the rinse bucket also has warm water with a less dilute concentration of ONR and a grit guard. The grout sponge from home depot is my wash medium for ONR. Entire car takes me twenty minutes and then 10 minutes for the wheels. Make sure you get the new formulation of ONR that was released a little over a year ago. I buy them by the gallon. You will love it.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:34 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also a big Griot's fan and drive my car year round. I used the waterless car wash last winter numerous times, then would apply speed shine and it looked pretty good... actually really good.

In the spring however, I noticed that I could see "shades" of white on my car and realized that it was dirt and / discoloration and it would not wash off.

Ended up using the fine hand polish (a lot of work by hand) on the entire car. Then wax. Looks nice and white again.

I believe (but not sure) that the I was not getting all of the dirt off with the waterless product and then I was sealing it with the speed shine.

My advice would be that the product is not a substitute for water and don't go too long without a real bath...
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Fill up the wash bucket with warm water and ONR, the rinse bucket also has warm water with a less dilute concentration of ONR and a grit guard.

Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of a "waterless" car wash?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I know this will make some purists cringe,but i probably wash my car once a year with water ... yes,yes, i know,my car deserves better but i'm lazy when it comes to that and i prefer using McGuairs quick detailing in a spray bottle or McGuairs quick wax and micro fiber cloths ...
Probably have four dozen of them in the garage at this point !
They get softer with every wash by the way,just don't wash them with the bathroom towels ... lol

I do dust my car everyday with one of those California dusters before i spray on the quick detailing juice

Cheers !
Phil
Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildcat077
I know this will make some purists cringe,but i probably wash my car once a year with water ... yes,yes, i know,my car deserves better but i'm lazy when it comes to that and i prefer using McGuairs quick detailing in a spray bottle or McGuairs quick wax and micro fiber cloths ...
Probably have four dozen of them in the garage at this point !
They get softer with every wash by the way,just don't wash them with the bathroom towels ... lol

I do dust my car everyday with one of those California dusters before i spray on the quick detailing juice

Cheers !
Phil
Glad to hear it! Since I'll probably be in your boat more often than not!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Fill up the wash bucket with warm water and ONR, the rinse bucket also has warm water with a less dilute concentration of ONR and a grit guard.

Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of a "waterless" car wash?
ONR is a rinseless wash, not a waterless wash. Rinseless washes and waterless washes are completely different products. I use ONR all the time and it's fantastic.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dave
ONR is a rinseless wash, not a waterless wash. Rinseless washes and waterless washes are completely different products. I use ONR all the time and it's fantastic.

Sounds great and something I'll look into. But the OP's question was concerning "Waterless" car washes.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started using Griot's Spray On Car Wash in the Texas Summer because it was too damn hot to wash the car. The car would dry before you could rinse. We had about 8 bottles at Boxstoberfest because of the water ban in Fredericksburg. I also use it after the 4 hour drive from Dallas to Houston for a PCA Concours. If Richard will use it on his Ferrari (I've seen the one in his training video) I can certainly use it on my 911. At the same time, use some common sense. I wouldn't try SOCW after a day of "muddin" in your four wheeler.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:50 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andy Kay
I started using Griot's Spray On Car Wash in the Texas Summer because it was too damn hot to wash the car. The car would dry before you could rinse. We had about 8 bottles at Boxstoberfest because of the water ban in Fredericksburg. I also use it after the 4 hour drive from Dallas to Houston for a PCA Concours. If Richard will use it on his Ferrari (I've seen the one in his training video) I can certainly use it on my 911. At the same time, use some common sense. I wouldn't try SOCW after a day of "muddin" in your four wheeler.

+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the "bucket less" spray. It is just soap you spray on your wash mitt. I have used it on my truck in the winter, I keep my hose inside and will wash a car in 20 degree weather. Its just the way I have always done it and my everyday cars paint look new after 6 years. I fill a bucket half full of hot water and car soap and wash one panel at a time. That way the water doesnt freeze up. I wash 2 large SUV and 1 Dodge Power Wagon all winter long.
Shortcuts will do more damage in the end than anything else. Just make a cold weather plan on washing your car.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Exactly right. When people ask opinions on a waterless wash they often mean any kinda wash where you don't have to drag the hose out, wash down the entire car and deal with a puddle of water after the wash. That's why I like to talk to them about the other wash, the rinseless wash. When I use ONR, it just takes me just two buckets of water (ie 4 gallons) and hardly any more than a few drops of water on the floor when I am all done. Personally I would take a rinseless ONR anyday over the Griot's spray on car wash which is nothing but a more concentrated version of their speed shine. I use their spray on car wash to remove superficial dust. Whenever there is something more than that on the car, ONR is the way to go IMO. I wish I had some before pics for you. Believe me, the car had tons of residue coating the entire body panel from 140 miles of driving over snoqualmie pass and this is after my ONR last night. My drying towel after ONR wash did not even have a spec of dirt.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted on Waterless Spray-on Car Wash