Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need Advice/Opinions 996 911

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Bennnz0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice/Opinions 996 911

Hi, im new to this site and im buying a porsche very very soon, most likely within the next 2 months. I am buying a 996 but not sure which one i want. I am contemplating between a GT3 or a turbo. if i buy the GT3 i will stroke it and add the parts to officially make it a RS. I usually go to the track at least every 2 weeks and i also do a few runs on the highway with a few friends when the track is closed. Now i love the GT3 but at the same time i want the high horsepower that the turbo offers or has the potential to offer. Most people tell me not to get the turbo because of the horrible turbo lag and the constant oversteer. My friends have a supercharged M3, GTR, M5, superchargered E55, C63 and i want to be able to keep up with them. Please give me your opinions on what would be better (car will not be daily driven) Thanks.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Euronavy
Instructor

turbo lag? oversteer? in a 996? Idk who is telling you these things but i have to strongly disagree... and this is posted in the wrong section, post this in the 996 section (its under water cooled)
Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bennnz0
Hi, im new to this site and im buying a porsche very very soon, most likely within the next 2 months. I am buying a 996 but not sure which one i want. I am contemplating between a GT3 or a turbo. if i buy the GT3 i will stroke it and add the parts to officially make it a RS. I usually go to the track at least every 2 weeks and i also do a few runs on the highway with a few friends when the track is closed. Now i love the GT3 but at the same time i want the high horsepower that the turbo offers or has the potential to offer. Most people tell me not to get the turbo because of the horrible turbo lag and the constant oversteer. My friends have a supercharged M3, GTR, M5, superchargered E55, C63 and i want to be able to keep up with them. Please give me your opinions on what would be better (car will not be daily driven) Thanks.

You ride in good company. What part of the country are you in?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

You shouldn't bother with any of those. You should be looking at a Z06.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a Viper.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

LOL, you guys are funny. The fact he is so worried about HP and oversteer certainly inspires those answers.

If the OP wants to learn how to drive, the GT3 would be the choice I'd make-it is the entire package. But, if he's worried about oversteer, not a good beginner car. Actually, no Porsche is.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a 930, what is all of this "oversteer" I keep hearing about ? ?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Oh this is so not the forum for you in just so many ways i am not even gonna conmment . I think you are looking for maybe the 996 forum , or the turbo forum, .. or maybe even 6speed on line.

Good luck and all the best
Old 01-08-2012, 04:12 PM
masterdave
Racer

Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Bennnz0
Instructor

looks like i was told wrong about the over steer..im not getting a viper or a vette. i want a 996. what do u guys think i should get? Like i said i want a turbo or a gt3. Im from NY and sorry if i posted on the wrong part of the site. Like i said again Im knew to this site and to forums. So can you guys please help me out. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 AM
masterdave
Racer

having never driven either I cant comment to much on them. All the guys on this area are air cooled guys so its a whole other board game with these cars. If you are looking to spend that kind of money the older 911 are not what you want as im sure you know. As stated over on the 996 forum the GT3 is a track weapon and the Turbo is a bit more comfortable for every day use. Since it sounds like you will be going to the track a GT3 may be what you are looking for. Many people my self included can put up with a much rougher ride for that increased performance. Many of my friends think im crazy for driving my 911 when they compare the ride to there modern what ever machines. I would say test drive them and see how each feels, there are some questions to answer.

How often will you drive the car?
Is it mostly track or street use?
If street use how comfortable and usable do you want it?
Do you want something that you can work on your self?
How much are you going to modify the car if at all?
Would you plan on re selling the car in the near future, the resale value of the car is some thing to consider?

Regards
Dave
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Bennnz0
Instructor

Thanks Dave, I know i messed up and went to the wrong forum. Thats my bad, im only 3 days into this site and forums in general.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
masterdave
Racer

have you set up an account over at pelican yet?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a Turbo.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Get a Turbo.
Plus 996. It's a lot more forgiving car. The later year car the better. There were some nice buys out there but I really haven't paid any attention to them lately.

Quick Reply: Need Advice/Opinions 996 911