Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Instrument panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001 | 09:38 AM
Louis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Instrument panel

I have an '87 930. At night, the right side of the tach seems to be a little darker than the left, indicating a faulty bulb. How hard is it to rermove to install a new bulb? Also, has anyone converted to the white back plates on the instrument panel?
Old 09-12-2001 | 02:45 PM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

Sounds like an insturment bulb is burnt out. On my car the tach is tough to pull out directly. I have to remove the oil temp/pressure pod first (remove by carfully prying up with a screwdriver and then grasp the pod and pull it out) and then push out the tach.
You will see 3 silver cylinders with 2 wires each connected in the back of the tach. These are your bulb holders. Pull them out using a knife or small screwdriver (don't pull them by the wires) and twist the bulb to remove/replace.
Old 09-12-2001 | 04:06 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

I just replaced all the instrument lights yesterday (had to do something other than sit and watch gruesome footage on TV).

Its very easy, but prior post is right on with respect to taking out gauges to the left and then pushing the tach out from behind. The gauges are only held in by friction from the rubber gromment around them.
My tach actually had 2 different types of bulbs - an Osram Sylvania 2721 (12V/2W), $1.99 for 2 at any autoparts store and a larger 12V/2W bulb with a bayonet mount. Ended up paying $1.56! for one at my local Pcar dealership.
There's a handy technical article about doing this on the pelican website.
Old 09-12-2001 | 06:47 PM
Louis
Advanced

Thanks for the information.Glad to hear it's not that difficult.
Old 09-12-2001 | 10:11 PM
Louis
Advanced

Steve - could you pass on the WEB site address that you mentioned [Pelican]. I tried to pry the oil temp gauge out, but I was fearful that if I applied to much pressure I would damage something. Did not want to use the dash as leverage, for fear of permanently marking it.Is it hard to remove? A, do you have to pry underneath the rubber seal that surrounds the gauge? Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2001 | 03:02 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Louis-- http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nstruments.htm

I used a #2 flat blade screw driver with a paint stirrer underneath to protect the dash covering, while using my other hand to pull the gauge at the same time. The instruments should pull out fairly easily - the rubber seals just kind of hold them in place. Other than not marking the black vinyl on the dash, the dash itself is just steel, so as long as you protect it, nothing should happen. I found I just needed a little leverage with the screw driver to 'help' move the gauge and then it slid out relatively easily.
Hope this helps.
Steve
Old 09-13-2001 | 03:14 PM
nostatic
Instructor

has anyone tried different color lamps? One of my guilty pleasures in life is riding in my wifes car at night....I love the Audi red instruments...

Quick Reply: Instrument panel