Pre-heater on MFI engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 06:55 PM
tyler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Pre-heater on MFI engine

Hello,
has any one removed the preheater on their MFI engine??

I have no heat-exhangers therefore the pre-heater is getting cold air...what is even weirder is that preheater tube going to the air filter is off. so air is going in directly to the air filter and she runs like a top. I am going to remove the preheater and junk it but i see two wires going to it...i just don't want it to screw up cold start injectors or the like and have them richen the mixture or something bad like that...I can't imagine the 1972 911 T is that smart...the engine is the 2.4, MFI T model...i would appreciate anyones experience short of changing to webers

thanks
tyler
Old 09-10-2001, 11:03 AM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it is more rare to find someone that leaves the pre-heater on! Go ahead and remove it. Make sure you keep the smaller hose to the warm up thermostat. You will also need to cover the hole in the engine tin where the hose from the heat exchanger to the preheater ran so you don't suck in exhaust fumes into the engine compartment. I used duct tape until I had time to weld a piece of sheet metal in place. No need to cover the hole in the heat exchanger.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:30 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

Just to clarify, you must have hot air runnung to the thermostat, or your car won't run well after the first 5 min., it will be too rich once the engine is warm.
If you can't run hot air from your headers, you can remove the thermostat and make a special plate with a nut welded to it and a bolt goung through it to replace the thermostat.
Old 09-13-2001, 04:23 PM
tobluforu
AutoX

I took mine off and it runs great! Are the 2 wires your referring to on the left hand side? If so this is the speed switch which cuts fuel off when you lift off the throttle. Mine never woroked and my car runs fine. But, i'm told when this sensor does work, the car will get much better gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Pre-heater on MFI engine