Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Opinions on possible structural damage.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Headlands
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on possible structural damage.

I know that you'd really have to see the car in a body shop situation to find out (and it's going there after I get a new wheel and front valance), but I just want to get some general opinions on what the likelihood of structural damage is for this:

A driver pulled into my lane, without looking, from the left on a freeway off ramp, and I veered away to avoid being hit. Unfortunately there was an island on the right and I hit it straight on with the front right wheel. I braked and was able to slow down a bit -- was likely going about 10 -15 mph. The wheel definitely needs to be replaced, though somehow the tire is still fully inflated (!). The front valance is also irreversibly damaged. Visually there is no damage at all to any actual body panels or the bumper itself, which is encouraging -- the entire impact was on the tire/front valance.

The steering wheel is very off-center when driving straight, so there is most likely a bent tie rod and/or control arm; the wheel itself is not crooked top to bottom at all, though it is pushed a bit left of center alignment-wise.

What do you think the likelihood of structural damage is, since the hit was taken by the wheel/suspension? That's the only part that really concerns me -- everything else is more easily fixable. If there's any structural damage then I have to get insurance involved because it's $$$$$ to fix that, and since the other driver didn't hit me (and he simply took off afterwards - lovely), insurance for sure will make it my fault. I can't bring the car in to the shop for a week while I wait for the new wheel to be refinished and the valance to get here, but I'm anxious about this and would love hear some general opinions.

This happened on Dec. 30 -- crappy way to start the new year, but life happens so I'm rolling with it. If there's no frame damage the car will be as good as it was beforehand.

Last edited by Headlands; 01-03-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry for your episode. I spent 28 years in LA and cringe every time I go back and see how bad and inattentive the drivers are. Hopefully some Tito's Tacos in Culver City will make it all better......at least taste better! HNY.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Headlands
Advanced

Ha! Yeah, I'm surprised there aren't hundreds of people dying every day here due to the way people drive. Tito's Tacos -- now there's an idea to drown my sorrow in...perfect!

Hopefully the damage is as minimal as it appears (by way of comparison to a truly bad accident, that is), and with a few replacements in the suspension, a new wheel & tire, and valance, I'll be good to go, as new. Wish me luck, Rennlist folk!

Last edited by Headlands; 01-03-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Really glad you are ok.
Might be just a suspension/ steering issue along with the bodywork...especially at that speed. These tubs are strong.
A few measurements at the body shop will tell...and how the hood, wing align.
Good luck with it.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might get away with replacing components. Wont know until the alignment is checked afterwards. Best way is with a celette, but that costs $.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the alignment, Rusnak. And that 's AFTER all the related (damaged/compromised) parts are changed out....I'm sure some serious body guys will chime as to ther "checks".....be sure to deal with (only) people who spend MUCHO time with these cars,.....of this, I'm convinced is prerequisite.

BEST!

Doyle
Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Headlands
Advanced

Thanks, guys. Looks like it'll be a crap shoot whether or not there was frame damage. Man, I could really use some luck here since frame damage would be some serious dough, and I'm trying not to get insurance involved (again, since insurance will claim that no one can prove this one wasn't my fault I'll be SOL). It won't be cheap to begin with, considering everything that needs to be replaced...but frame adjustment would blow me out of the water.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a company here called Luis Frame and Wheel. They do chassis straightening. It's not as uncommon as one might think. They also do alignments, of course.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

bet you a dollar that it's just a tie rod.

Quick Reply: Opinions on possible structural damage.