Door stay question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:49 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Door stay question

Hi guys,

My driver's side door stay has been making a clunking sound when I open and close the door. I thought it was a problem where the door stay is attached to the chassis because the pin that holds it in place was jerry-rigged with a replacement pin and a screw. Today, I removed the replacement pin. I left the door stay attached to the door. I noticed that the door stay has a lot of up and down play. I can move it up and down about an inch each way. Is that normal? The screws attaching the door stay to the door seem secure and I do not believe the sheet metal is weak at the door stay. It seems like the up and down movement is all from the actual door stay mechanism. I've ordered a new door stay, but I was just wondering if it might be the door stay mechanism that was making the noise...not the attachment to the body of the car.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the rubber insulator the stay slides in and out of has deteriorated and wobbling. You're OK as long as the mounting area is still solid. You will need to remove the door panel to access the bolts to remove & replace it.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

I would take that door Panel off and inspect as Ron suggests. For anyone doing door stay work i would recommend the re-enforcing plates. it is one of the best PM investments you can make on any Porsche of our era. Even if it looks fine it can start to tear at any time.

Notice how the pic from inside the door shows the tear in the plating .. may not see that from the outside. The blue crap is the grease i sprayed because i thought it was just binding..

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Fonz0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok- I have been sufficiently scared that I have ordered the door stay reinforcement kits for my baby. The fact that I have 2 kids getting in and out of her sealed it for me.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Luckily, no damage to the sheet metal!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Door stay question