Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Wheel Spacers or wider tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Question 911 Wheel Spacers or wider tires?

O.K. I've read through various previous threads and have not exactly found the right answer. I have read other people's comments on how the "look" of having the tires out further in the wheel well finishes off a nice and balanced looking 911. Given the fact that I'm going to buy 4 new tires I feel this would be a great time to address this issue. With that, here are my questions;

1) Should one use spacers or go with a wider tire?

2) Will either adversely affect handling or anything else?

3) What are the right sizes for my 88 911?

4) Where is the best place to purchase?

Thanks to those that have suggested/prodded/pleaded and begged me to use the search function BEFORE starting a new thread. There really is alot of information out there. I find I get lost on all sorts of subjects I never thought of! Thanks for your advice.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So why, exactly, did you start the thread?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
So why, exactly, did you start the thread?

So do you have any answers or just criticism???
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

I believe the reason for the single question reply was this is the source of some debate.

Yet I have a complete set of wheel spacers and lugs that came off my 3.2 Carrera, were on there for 2 completely trouble free, perfectly balanced years. One inch rears, not sure on fronts, will check. Make an offer (PM or here) as I'm ridding myself of lots of shelved parts.

They're on the car in the avatar by the way. Pulls the wheels to the wheel well edge.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:54 AM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
O.K. I've read through various previous threads and have not exactly found the right answer. I have read other people's comments on how the "look" of having the tires out further in the wheel well finishes off a nice and balanced looking 911. Given the fact that I'm going to buy 4 new tires I feel this would be a great time to address this issue. With that, here are my questions;

Thanks to those that have suggested/prodded/pleaded and begged me to use the search function BEFORE starting a new thread. There really is alot of information out there. I find I get lost on all sorts of subjects I never thought of! Thanks for your advice.
1) For a street driven cab, the factory 205 front, 225 rear are fine
2) Handling can be affected since you are widening the vehicles track. If you have no experience or a sensative butt, you won't notice
3) the "right" size is the size that won't cause your tires to rub. I'd offer up 1" rear. 1/2" or less front
4) H&R makes some great, HUBCENTRIC spacers/adaptors. They are not cheap either.

5) Don't be cheap
6) Don't add spacers to just make the car "look better".. since looking better is both sujective and, ideally, will require you to lower the car below US rideheight settings. Once lowered, you will have less ground clearance, which may be an issue on questionable "maine" roads.

7) The factory offered: a) 7 and 8 x 15" wheels as well as 7 and 8x16" wheels. Many here like the look of 7 and 9x16" wheels. Biggest issue with wider wheels is finding matched sizes in 16" diameters.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

So do you have any answers or just criticism???
Merely criticism.

Answers to your questions can be found ad naseum with a simple search.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

O.K. [B]I've read through various previous [/B]threads and have not exactly found the right answer. I have read other people's comments on how the "look" of having the tires out further in the wheel well finishes off a nice and balanced looking 911. Given the fact that I'm going to buy 4 new tires I feel this would be a great time to address this issue. With that, here are my questions;

Merely criticism.

Answers to your questions can be found ad naseum with a simple search.
Apparently you didn't read my first post completely!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Apparently you didn't read my first post completely!
Oh, I did, and I have, but will not continue to read any of your inane questions.

I've enjoyed this forum for years, have used it extensively and learned so very much here that I consider it family in many ways.

I question your need to overuse and wonder what drives you to continue demanding attention from an otherwise polite crowd. As I honestly dislike calling any single soul out here, I'll refrain from further comments, but do ask that you take a second look at the majority of your posts with an eye towards perhaps quietly listening and learning - rather than the constant hand waving and grunting like that of a bothersome child in a quiet classroom.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, I did, and I have, but will not continue to read any of your inane questions.

I've enjoyed this forum for years, have used it extensively and learned so very much here that I consider it family in many ways.

I question your need to overuse and wonder what drives you to continue demanding attention from an otherwise polite crowd. As I honestly dislike calling any single soul out here, I'll refrain from further comments, but do ask that you take a second look at the majority of your posts with an eye towards perhaps quietly listening and learning - rather than the constant hand waving and grunting like that of a bothersome child in a quiet classroom.

Your comments are welcomed and duly noted. It was never my attempt at annoying anyone and am sorry if I have. Just a little over zealousness towards my new hobby. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

PS: I also "cleaned up" my signature.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Fikse Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wider tires, and wheels, are an excellent improvement for your Carrrera. Tire availability in 16" has become quite difficult. I recommend 17", specifically 17x7.5 front and 17x9 rear, using 205/50 17 front and 255/40 17 rear.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fikse Wheels
Wider tires, and wheels, are an excellent improvement for your Carrrera. Tire availability in 16" has become quite difficult. I recommend 17", specifically 17x7.5 front and 17x9 rear, using 205/50 17 front and 255/40 17 rear.

Thanks for the info, but where would one get 17" rims??? BTW, love your products! Merry Christmas.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:30 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rota Fox makes a Fuchs look alike that is gravity cast 17" wheel. They are hard to find, but prices range from $1200 - 1500 for a new set. Some people buy Zuffenhaus 3 piece 17" Fuchs style wheels and those are in the $3600 range. Another option is 6 x 16" Fuchs with the centers cut out and modified for 3 bolt application. These kinds of sets use 20 bolt BBS inner and outer rim components. These sets are in the $1800 used to almost $4000 if you are the guy buying all new components to custom make a set. Jim
Old 12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

I just had a conversation tonight with a guy that restores cars and he said to go with wider tires versus spacers because you will have more grip on the road and you won't mess with the cars "tracking" if you go with spacers of different widths, say 1" and 1/2". Plus you'll save the price of the spacers. He also thinks that the maximum width recommended width is 265's for the back and 245's in the front. Any thoughts?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock 993 17" cup II rims will fit. They are also wider than the stock '88 rims. Many 993 folks (me included) trade them for what are known as 'Model Year '02 18" rims, so there are plenty out there. Here's what they look like on a Carrera coupe; (Photo borrowed from route30classics.com)

I think they would look good on your car.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I just had a conversation tonight with a guy that restores cars and he said to go with wider tires versus spacers because you will have more grip on the road and you won't mess with the cars "tracking" if you go with spacers of different widths, say 1" and 1/2". Plus you'll save the price of the spacers. He also thinks that the maximum width recommended width is 265's for the back and 245's in the front. Any thoughts?
That is the conventional wisdom, so there isn't much to comment on or dispute there. Except the sizes-no way you are going to run those sizes of tires without semi-severe mods to your car. The largest reasonable widths are 225 up front and 255 at the rear. You could need to shave or roll lips and run a lot of negative camber to fit those widths he suggested. Maybe even move thecoil lines at the rear, depending on tire brand and wheel offset.

Originally Posted by Paul K
Stock 993 17" cup II rims will fit. They are also wider than the stock '88 rims. Many 993 folks (me included) trade them for what are known as 'Model Year '02 18" rims, so there are plenty out there. Here's what they look like on a Carrera coupe; (Photo borrowed from route30classics.com)

I think they would look good on your car.

Cheers,

Paul.
They will fit, but they will require massive spacers to take up the extra offset. I know I'm biased, but most won't like the look of large offset wheels on a torsion bar 911 like Tim's. The lack of dish looks out of place.

Quick Reply: 911 Wheel Spacers or wider tires?