Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Wheel Spacers or wider tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents: This hobby can quickly get out of hand, don't ask me how I know. You have very nice looking Fuchs wheels in the proper size...you don't need new wheels. If you feel like you want to fill out the wheel wells more lower the car and get an alignment...do this after the new tires. No need for spacers at this time, not necessary. Now new tires selection should be based on your intended use of the car. If you will put it away when the temp drops below 40 degrees (how long would your season in Maine be?) get High Performance Summer only tires. If not get high or ultra high performance all season tires in your stock size (225/50/16 and 205/55/16). Why, because your speedo will be accurate, you will have less potential problems on marginal roads, it will look right, and if you get caught in light snow you will get home, when it's cold your tires will stop you, and just be safer than summer tires when its cold. Now you need to decide which all season high performance tire in your stock size you should buy.

Thats the fun part and one of our sponsor Tirerack is one of the best places to look. Play around on their site and when you think you know what you want call and ask to talk to Damen (if hes still there or someone else) and ask questions and get them ordered.

Hope this helps and my suggestion would be:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=911 Carrera Cabriolet&autoModClar=
Old 12-16-2011, 11:03 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DublinOh
My 2 cents: This hobby can quickly get out of hand, don't ask me how I know. You have very nice looking Fuchs wheels in the proper size...you don't need new wheels. If you feel like you want to fill out the wheel wells more lower the car and get an alignment...do this after the new tires. No need for spacers at this time, not necessary. Now new tires selection should be based on your intended use of the car. If you will put it away when the temp drops below 40 degrees (how long would your season in Maine be?) get High Performance Summer only tires. If not get high or ultra high performance all season tires in your stock size (225/50/16 and 205/55/16). Why, because your speedo will be accurate, you will have less potential problems on marginal roads, it will look right, and if you get caught in light snow you will get home, when it's cold your tires will stop you, and just be safer than summer tires when its cold. Now you need to decide which all season high performance tire in your stock size you should buy.

Thats the fun part and one of our sponsor Tirerack is one of the best places to look. Play around on their site and when you think you know what you want call and ask to talk to Damen (if hes still there or someone else) and ask questions and get them ordered.

Hope this helps and my suggestion would be:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=911 Carrera Cabriolet&autoModClar=

Is lowering a DIY or mechanic's project? How much would you lower and at what cost? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Is lowering a DIY or mechanic's project? How much would you lower and at what cost? Thanks.
That depends on you. I think engine rebuilding is a DIY project. Lowering is a piece of cake-absolutely DIY. It should probably coincide with an evaluation of your suspension (bushings, shocks, etc). Tons of threads on this subject.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ed. Will start my search and research followed by probably a couple of dumb questions!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That depends on you. I think engine rebuilding is a DIY project. Lowering is a piece of cake-absolutely DIY. It should probably coincide with an evaluation of your suspension (bushings, shocks, etc). Tons of threads on this subject.
+1

Read up on it and decide if you want to do it...fronts are very easy if you can get one bolt to turn...rears a little more complicated...But if you lower the car other geometry changes and can affect steering, some times the steering rack needs to be shimmed up to correct the geometry. The lower you go the more issues so evaluation of the whole system becomes necessary, but just a slight lowering is probably low cost. If you don't have "101 projects for your Porsche" buy it.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:44 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

I have "101" an will review when I get home from NH and the Polar Express!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:17 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

As luck would have it, I noticed when I was cleaning my car today that the OTHER rear tire was flat as well. Guess she's trying to tell me something!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:35 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this one of the new tires you got? Did you get new tires?
Old 12-25-2011, 02:15 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by salukijac
Is this one of the new tires you got? Did you get new tires?
No. It's the other rear tire. I promised my bride I'd wait until after Christmas to get new tires. I only have 22 hours and 45 minutes to wait!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:28 PM
packet
Track Day

Originally Posted by KaiB
Oh, I did, and I have, but will not continue to read any of your inane questions.

I've enjoyed this forum for years, have used it extensively and learned so very much here that I consider it family in many ways.

I question your need to overuse and wonder what drives you to continue demanding attention from an otherwise polite crowd. As I honestly dislike calling any single soul out here, I'll refrain from further comments, but do ask that you take a second look at the majority of your posts with an eye towards perhaps quietly listening and learning - rather than the constant hand waving and grunting like that of a bothersome child in a quiet classroom.
This is exactly why I don't spend a lot of time around here.

911 Crazy has been nothing but cordial and is at least trying to learn about 911 ownership. Enthusiasm of 911 ownership like his should be encouraged, not flamed.

Comments like yours are the exact reason why other people sometimes see Porsche owners as a**holes.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by packet
This is exactly why I don't spend a lot of time around here.

911 Crazy has been nothing but cordial and is at least trying to learn about 911 ownership. Enthusiasm of 911 ownership like his should be encouraged, not flamed.

Comments like yours are the exact reason why other people sometimes see Porsche owners as a**holes.
Thanks Packet. Merry Christmas!

Quick Reply: 911 Wheel Spacers or wider tires?