Question on speakers and door panels

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:18 PM
kyle242gt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on speakers and door panels

Hi all-

My 80 SC has 6.5" speakers in the doors, or at least they appear to be. They have plastic grilles that are attached to the door panel from behind, no visible screws; I assume the speakers are attached to the door itself. Seems to be a common variety, so I assume it's OEM.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...dscn1998_1.jpg

Additionally, there are tweeter spots, kinda; hard to see in the image above. They are above the woofers, about 1.5" diameter areas perforated in the door panel. Eight or ten holes, as far as I know, nothing behind them.

There are Alpine 5x7's in the rear deck, square grilles with exposed screws. HU is a iffy Jensen CD/mp3 deck, close enough for now. Plus a 8" bazooka in the frunk.

Anyway, writing for advice before I cut anything! Inclined to get some new 6.5 components for the doors. Rears are okay for fill, I think.

I figure I can put the 6.5-6.75 speakers in the doors behind the existing grilles. Unsure if placing the tweets behind the perforated areas will be good enough, or if cutting the door panel is okay since the perforations are non-stock anyway. Or I can get 3-way 6.5"s and call it good enough. Car is not pristine or anything, but I don't want to be "that guy" that puts a bunch of crap in. Don't need a particularly awesome setup either... just that the existing front speakers are in rough shape, and the rears sound muddy when faded to avoid the fronts crackling.

Thanks for any ideas!
The following users liked this post:
Snizinskas (02-03-2021)
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can use the stock grills if you shop around for the right sized speaker. I went to Galpin Autosports (yes, Pimp My Ride) and they had the perfect speakers in stock. They did trim some of the plastic cup inside the door because speakers today use a much larger magnet than back in the day.

The nice part of the deal is that the grill just snaps into place. Behind the speaker is a clip ring that holds the grill.

a cross-over unit can be mounted inside the door pocket very easily. The door never has to come apart.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:52 PM
kyle242gt
Intermediate

Thanks amberlamps!

But what do you think of the tweeter provision? Cut out the perforated area, mount behind it, or just use a two or three-way and forgo the separate tweeter?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine has a big chunk of black foam stuffed in it. I wouldn't cut anything. My stereo hasn't been on in years. For me the 911 is a date car or long weekend car. No need for a stereo to have a fantastic time behind the wheel.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the same alarm - key pad next to key switch. Any idea how it works? Haven't had good luck with google on it.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
kyle242gt
Intermediate

Here's a pic of the tweeter provision. Is that OEM or aftermarket? There doesn't appear to be a speaker behind it, and I don't detect any sound from there either.

I'm concerned that this is a suboptimal tweeter location, plus it's ugly. I'd like to cut out the door panel and fit the tweeter properly.

However, if this is one of those no-no's, I'll either run threeways in the lower area or mount the tweeter behind the perfs and call it close enough.

As far as the alarm goes, mine doesn't work! Nothing connected to the back, just an unfortunate hole and four mounting prongs. When/if I restore the dash area, I'll get rid of it... till then, it's a nice little piece of history.

Also attached is a family photo... everything's outside to get garage doors installed today. Shop is almost done!
Attached Images     
Old 12-09-2011, 03:45 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Like the multi-port garage set-up for your "kids"!

Quick Reply: Question on speakers and door panels