Oil change, when?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:22 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
Didn't your PPI note what was looking good and those things at 50% etc so you know what/where to start your maint program?
However, I immed. changed all of my fluids (except brake) so as to have a 'start point' for future maint ref..also, adj valves, new belts, rotor/cap...abt the 10 to 15 K yearly deal.
Got a verbal PPI over the phone with the promise of an emailed follow-up. Made several phone calls the last 2 weeks with promises of it being sent with no luck. Didn't write down the info because of an emailed version promised. It would greatly help in establishing my "baseline" and knowing what has been recently replaced.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, who did your PPI and did you pay for it? If you paid for it, I can't see a mechanic not providing a written list for the results.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by salukijac
Tim, who did your PPI and did you pay for it? If you paid for it, I can't see a mechanic not providing a written list for the results.
Done by Kevin Wheeler at KMW Motorsports in Boca Raton, FL who seems to have a good reputation. Just can't get him or his wife Kim send me the report. I paid $200 for the PPI.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Isn't that the seller also? If so, hmmmm...
Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes

My thoughts exactly!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:42 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

My thoughts exactly!

No. The seller was Pedigree Motors. Although Kevin does do work for Pedigree. Looking back should've had someone who had no affiliation with Pedigree do the PPI! If you know of anyone considering buying from them, have them PM me.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Not to play Monday morning quarterback...and without knowing what was included in a $200 PPI it is tough to give you a objective opinion. Was a leakdown test done? I'd start doing my own PPI. Pete's book has a good checklist and if I'm not mistaken excerpts of it are posted here in the "sticky section." Start going down the line and corroborate their findings with yours. Hopefully, it's only minor things you find.

Last edited by salukijac; 12-12-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Not to play Monday morning quarterback...and without knowing what was included in a $200 PPI it is tough to give you a objective opinion. Was a leakdown test done? I'd start doing my own PPI. Pete's book has a good checklist and if I'm not mistaken exceprts of it are posted here in the "sticky section." Start going down the line and corroborate their findings with yours. Hopefully, it's only minor things you find.
A full PPI was done by Kevin for Pedigree and I saw that report and there were some minor things that Kevin took care of. My $200 basically covered a compression test, which came out extremely good and Kevin said a leakdown test was not necessary.

Isn't my car the best that Porsche ever made? Pedigree assured me it was! OK so I'm biased. I will go back through PZ's list for myself. Heck, it will be a good introduction to my car anyways!

Now to start working on the car with my friend here,
Old 12-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

$200 is not enough for a PPI that includes a compression check, IMO..I think you'd be closer to $350 or 400. Based on what you found with your tires, I would be on the phone tomorrow morning asking for the report. Or, on the phone with the credit card company.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

$200 is not enough for a PPI that includes a compression check, IMO..I think you'd be closer to $350 or 400. Based on what you found with your tires, I would be on the phone tomorrow morning asking for the report. Or, on the phone with the credit card company.

That goes without saying!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Fonz0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went over 1200 miles and had to add a quart of oil. The oil level gauge is actually useful- it was noticeably lower idling after warming up so I checked using the Dipstick while running and sure enough a bit on the low side. Added a quart of Brad Penn 20W50 Green Racing and it is topped off perfectly.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fonz0
I just went over 1200 miles and had to add a quart of oil. The oil level gauge is actually useful- it was noticeably lower idling after warming up so I checked using the Dipstick while running and sure enough a bit on the low side. Added a quart of Brad Penn 20W50 Green Racing and it is topped off perfectly.
That is the way to work the "system".
Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fonz0
That is the way to work the "system".
A real life "tutorial" happening right before my eyes. Thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:25 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to call the seller and share your findings, as well as the PPI guys. Give them a chance to help. I don't assume they had diabolical intentions and they should be aware of your findings. if they own up to their oversight and have true concern, they will probably offer a concession. If not, make them privy to this thread...thet'll get their attention.
Anyway. A fellow Porsche enthusiast I speak with occasionally shared a story about his purchase experience. After buying a 356 that was grossly misrepresented, he took it to his "guy" to begin the restoration and was verbally hard on the seller. His "guy" simply said "he got your money, don't give him your happiness also". I think you have a good car and will just have to tidy it up a bit...par for the coarse.
Let's talk about that coupe/targe you're after now.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
You may want to call the seller and share your findings, as well as the PPI guys. Give them a chance to help. I don't assume they had diabolical intentions and they should be aware of your findings. if they own up to their oversight and have true concern, they will probably offer a concession. If not, make them privy to this thread...thet'll get their attention.
Anyway. A fellow Porsche enthusiast I speak with occasionally shared a story about his purchase experience. After buying a 356 that was grossly misrepresented, he took it to his "guy" to begin the restoration and was verbally hard on the seller. His "guy" simply said "he got your money, don't give him your happiness also". I think you have a good car and will just have to tidy it up a bit...par for the coarse.
Let's talk about that coupe/targe you're after now.

Thanks for your advice. I've been calling and leaving emails for the last week or so. Will give it until the end of the week. With regards to the "happiness" quotient, you couldn't wipe the smile off my face when I get around the car! (pisses my wife off lots!). I will probably get another PPI done so as to have a baseline of which to work with.

Now about the targa or coupe.....hopefully a 82-89 that I can use as a daily driver. Would like to find a west coast model to drive home from Cali next June.

Quick Reply: Oil change, when?