Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Protection to prevent shifting into reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 10:31 PM
Jas.G
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Protection to prevent shifting into reverse?

Do the 911 SCs have any sort of protection to prevent shifting into reverse when the car is in motion?

Someone I know test drove the Euro 911SC and when he was shifting into 3rd, he accidently went into 5th.. and then from there, shifting back down.. it went into reverse.

Are both of these incidents a concern or are they normal?
Old 06-19-2002, 12:39 AM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not normal.

SC's shift linkage floats free on gears 1-4, but there is a spring that should be overcome to get it into 5 and reverse. There is also sort of a gate on 5 and R, with a lockout to prevent you from going straight back from 5th to reverse. The only picture I can find of it is from a thread on the Pelican 911 board about installing an aftermarket gate shift kit.

The tabs sticking up on the right side of the shifter, and the hook coming out of the shift lever on the right side are the factory gate for 5 and lockout for reverse. When it is in 5th, the tab pops out and blocks the shifter from moving back into R. If the couple between the seats is adjusted improperly, it is possible to nick reverse when coming out of 5th, even with all the pieces in place.

I would be more concerned with the springs though. There should be a fair ammount of spring tension that must be overcome to get the car in 5th. Ask you friend if he remembers a spring.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Old 06-19-2002, 12:46 AM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I should mention the gate shift kit is from <a href="http://www.seinesystems.com" target="_blank">Here</a>, and details of the install can be found <a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?threadid=67622" target="_blank">here.</a>

Tom
Old 06-20-2002, 04:35 PM
Ted Ritter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out the Robtek shift "preventer" kit available from smartracing.com or several other parts houses. It's $299. It's designed to prevent just what you describe.
Ted R.
86 Carrera

Quick Reply: Protection to prevent shifting into reverse?