refelctions on a trip across europe with a 86 carrera

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:08 PM
pilot 76
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default refelctions on a trip across europe with a 86 carrera

To the porsche 911 community,

Just back from a trip across europe with my prussian blue 86 porsche. First some details about the car, purschased it beginning of the year with 190.000kms (about 120kmls), second owner car only, previous owner had it for 16 years and was meticulous about it, but think in the last 9 years the car did only 2000 mls or so, not ideal.
However, it has been maintained most of the time at official porsche center, ac was upgraded 6 years ago, but is now dead, can see that the compressor is leaking, but a thing for the future because, who knows what follows after the compressor, sure it will not be the last leak in the system and over here in belgium, temperature wise is unfortunately not florida.
Clutch on this 915 gearbox is getting a bit tired, most noticable in first and second gears, car shudders a bit when you leave in first or when you are slow but are already in second and kind of have to use the clutch a bit, more noticable when cold... this will definately be changed beginning next year as i plan to drive it to portugal.

The trip itself was from brussels belgium to the porsche museum, this was initially a bit boring exiting belgium into luxembourgh still boring and into germany ah the fun starts, for the americans out here on the form wich is i reckon 95 %, you have a beatifull country with truly many liberties, I mean in my eyes everything is just easy and allowed in the us, waterski jetski everywhere, enduro riding, huge camper vans etc etc all allowed and actually made easy probably due to just available space, and the green not too much in power, in europe all this is doable but more difficult. But we have (still german highways) and it was years ago since I was on them, but in a porsche they are huge fun, drove this part quite fast but then everyone does drive fast there were you are allowed atleast. So parts of this trip you would be driving 60 kms at 220+ or find yourself a 50 year old women flashing you to move over to the right when i was doing 220 and passing me in her 330i and pushing the thing to its limit which should be around 240 kmph. But just the fact to see 260 on your speedo (not to long because then the car wouldnt be too happy ) is really a pleasure especially since you can do it legally without having to worry about anything.
After this trip honestly the car felt a bit more alive, as for a long time overdue, the car was able to open its lungs and breath a bit, think it is actually good for the engine too because you kind of clean the top end a bit (burn of a bit of co deposits).

Porsche museum btw is very impressive and certainly for us porsche enthousiast a must visit.
After this it was on towards Innsbruck Austria, which would be the second overnight. Cosy city in the middle of the alps with where given the right address (pure luck on my behalf) you can eat excellently.
After this about 400 miles through the alps towards ljubliana slovenia, most ppl would never do this and go for the longer road there and look for a highway crossing north sound bound through the alps but I specially wanted to do the east west twisty stuff. Maybe I was lucky or so but it was like for the first 200 mls or someone gave me a private racetrack. Honestly almost no ppl around and the drive was really amazing, starting out slowly to more and more spirited drive to the point that at the end i was letting the car break out on these 2nd gear tight turns, incredible fun and again the car went like a train, never sputtered, no break fade, had to stop after one hour or so to take a coffie because honestly was getting car sick, anyway checked the oil and to my delight car maybe used 0.3 liters on 1300 miles of highspeed stuff followed by the alp drive. After the alps kind of faded out to find my self in a deep mist driving into ljubliana. Was really scared that someone would steal my car here so took one of the better hotels in town wich had a underground parking, but even here just for my own sake removed the fuel circuit breaker and then locked by key the front hood, I know a guy who kept his porsche this way other wise it would have been stolen, apparently breaking into the hood is too time consuming.. Ljubliana itself, atleast the old center is truely magnificent and recommend it to everyone aswell.

Then the drive back home was a bit more relaxed via Salzburg, overnight and then 1000 kms back to brussels in one go, a bit boring to be honest but hey you ant have everything right.

I really recomend these kind of trips because they are such a blast, moreover the car really behaved beatifully especially considering they are 25 years old and really no extra maintenance was done before the trip, after doing near no milage for the last 10 years thought maybe the engine would start to leak or use a lot of oil, but it just doesnt... also i think these cars really work the best when you can drive them a long time and they really get up to temp, wich might be a non issue in florida or calif, but here in europe in the winter it gets really cold and during a half an hour trip through town the car never reaches its optimum temp. the only mod i did prior leaving for this trip was normail oil change (mobil half synth 10w-40) and gearbox oil change (swepco )

I know the 915 for a lot of ppl have a bad rep. but i am having a blast with it i like the puritan aspect of it where it will reward a good driver for taking the gears a bit slower and letting the subaru wrx outpull you through their rapid gear changes, yet it wouldnt give me the same pleasure am sure...

best Regards,

K.
Brussels
Belgium
Old 11-11-2011, 02:37 PM
masterdave
Racer

Sounds like it was a great trip, any pictures? Before I die I would love to do some thing like this. I have always wanted to get a hold of a classic 73-74 911 Carrera RS, in white with the red carrera logo on the side, and drive it across Europe. Although I have been a few times I have never driven in Europe but the windy roads there would be far more fun for me than most of the straight stuff we have here in the US. If I ever do make it your way with my current 911 or my future 911RS I would be more than happy to take a drive with you.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:30 PM
pilot 76
AutoX

no, no pictures yet, but will post something soon, but always welcome for a drive

911 rs is really something else, still iroc rep could be awesome aswell
Old 11-11-2011, 03:31 PM
pilot 76
AutoX

sorry i should have said I was the third cars owner, my mistake
Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

if i wanna read i'l buy a book .. pictures man pictures ..
Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 PM
rosco28
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a smile on my face the entire read, destination Porsche museum, amazing!! I drove the autobahn about 10 years ago, but not in a proper car. Though i always laugh when i think of the old women in the Audi saloons flashing me to get the hell out of their way!!

I have a colleague in France, also with a Prussian blue 86, awesome!!
Old 11-12-2011, 06:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a company (forgot the name) that rents vintage air cooled 911s for drives across Europe. They're on my bucket list. One of the few "people" who I've Facebooked.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm up with Rusnak on that bucket list item....

As to the OP, thanks for sharing your story.

Best!

Doyle

Quick Reply: refelctions on a trip across europe with a 86 carrera