Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Couple of questions: 1986 911 targa

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

What is wrong with looking into other shop recommendations in Houston? There are two, it seems, that come up regularly here.

One guy with a decent experience. I'm sure someone is happy with Motor Meister too. I say, where there is smoke, there is fire. There are other sellers, such as TruSpeed, who get great marks, so it isn't just sour grapes, IMO. I know someone who purchased a beautiful 911 at Victory, only to find the quick coat of clear they shot on to make it look so great, lift in 9 months. Why even take a chance with someone with so many allegations?

How do they stay in business? Lots of fresh meat with people who finally want to buy their dream car 911, that they've always wanted. They search the Internet/eBay and who do they see with gleaming Porsches. Do you see them sponsoring enthusiast sites like this one? No.

Oh well, it's your money, you were advised. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:28 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
What is wrong with looking into other shop recommendations in Houston? There are two, it seems, that come up regularly here.

One guy with a decent experience. I'm sure someone is happy with Motor Meister too. I say, where there is smoke, there is fire. There are other sellers, such as TruSpeed, who get great marks, so it isn't just sour grapes, IMO. I know someone who purchased a beautiful 911 at Victory, only to find the quick coat of clear they shot on to make it look so great, lift in 9 months. Why even take a chance with someone with so many allegations?

How do they stay in business? Lots of fresh meat with people who finally want to buy their dream car 911, that they've always wanted. They search the Internet/eBay and who do they see with gleaming Porsches. Do you see them sponsoring enthusiast sites like this one? No.

Oh well, it's your money, you were advised. Good luck.
I am not opposed to other places at all, nor do I think its the best idea to go forward with Victory necessarily. What are some other good shops in the Houston/Texas area? I live in Dallas and my dad said he would be willing to look outside of Houston. Does RUF autocenter do stuff like this? Any other options?

It isn't my car, not my money, so ultimately not my decision. I am just trying to help my father who really has no idea. I would just as soon buy the car from him and see him in a new porsche. He had a smile on his face the whole time we were at the dealer, I know he would be happy in a new one. The thing is, he loves his targa. He thought he was crazy when he bought it 26 years ago. It has proven to be a great, reliable car and he is having a hard time getting his head around getting rid of it. We will look into other shops. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:39 AM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

If you don't find an A/C shop as some have suggested, here is the typical advice you'd find regarding indie Porsche shops around Houston:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...m-victory.html

Rennsport appears to be the most highly recommended from what I've seen.

I have a hard time believing a nice, one owner 911 with 62k miles is worth less than $20k, minimum. If you don't buy it, I hope your father sells to an enthusiast. It would be a shame to see her go to a flipper or Porsche dealer for a low ball price.

I hope you buy the car from your father and keep her in the family for another 26 years. I bet he'd like that. And post some pictures.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

What can I say? You asked, you got info. You then brought up the "grain of salt" theory and alluded to fact you were going to go with Victory. Show your dad this thread, and the one above. You state you are trying to "help" your dad, who "has no idea". Help him.

The shops noted above are the ones recommended over and over here. Ruf knows air-cooleds, but is probably overkill for this type of repair. Contact Mayo or Zims in Dallas.

Originally Posted by lcrain
I am not opposed to other places at all, nor do I think its the best idea to go forward with Victory necessarily. What are some other good shops in the Houston/Texas area? I live in Dallas and my dad said he would be willing to look outside of Houston. Does RUF autocenter do stuff like this? Any other options?

It isn't my car, not my money, so ultimately not my decision. I am just trying to help my father who really has no idea. I would just as soon buy the car from him and see him in a new porsche. He had a smile on his face the whole time we were at the dealer, I know he would be happy in a new one. The thing is, he loves his targa. He thought he was crazy when he bought it 26 years ago. It has proven to be a great, reliable car and he is having a hard time getting his head around getting rid of it. We will look into other shops. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

PS-Motor Meister, who I mentioned above, also stays in business, somehow. Search their name, and read all of their glowing reviews.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to live in Katy and strongly recommend C&B Auto Service (281.392.6565) owned by Craig Johnston. He drives a Porsche 928 and was a Porsche Master Tech for 12 years. Very reasonable price and a great group of guys. Eddie and Craig did almost all of the work on my 911SC. Within 5 miles is a guy who made me new AC hoses for about $50 while I waited and my AC now blows cold!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lcrain
Hey guys,

Posting here for my father, who has owned a 1986 911 targa since new. He loves it (so do I). As it sits the car has 62k miles on it. My father lives in Houston where it is very hot and humid. Thus, he drives the 911 less and less (I drive it whenever I am in town, and he takes it out on the weekends here and there). The a/c is terrible making it pretty intolerable to drive during the summer in Houston. My dad drives a z71 suburban into downtown houston for work every day instead of the 911. He wants to drive it more.

He has been debating a few options. The first option is to sell it and buy a new car with some modern amenities, 6spd, and is fun to drive (has a sporty feel). He has thought maybe a new 911 or an m3 coupe. Now he is leaning more towards keeping the car and refurbishing it to make it more livable. We took it to Victory Motors here in Houston two weeks ago to have them check it out and give us an idea of what they could do for us. Spent a few minutes with the owner Robert Neal and walked away with this rough list. Keep in mind, my dad has taken very good care of this car (claims it is the most reliable car he has ever owned) and needs practically nothing mechanically.

-New a/c unit. Neal claims he can put a new unit in there to blow cold for ~2.5k
-New speakers/satellite radio
-A few minor dents/dings here and there
-New driver side door piece (right under the window, keeps coming off when you open the door)
-Engine cover needs replacement (above the engine in the engine bay, apparently keeps heat and sound out of the cab, it is sagging down)
-A few other minor things

So really not too much at all. He quoted us 5k with the majority of that being the a/c. My father thinks it sounds fairly reasonable. He loves this car and the idea of being able to drive it more often appeals to him greatly.

Here are the questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with Victory Motors in Houston? I have no reason to distrust this guy, but I did a quick google search and there have been some not so happy customers who purchased cars from him over ebay etc. Has anyone had any work done by Robert Neal and Victory motors rather than a poor purchase experience? I get the feeling he has to be known in porsche circles as he had some sweet porches in there and must cater to a select clientele (people on forums like this). Mainly my dad doesn't want to throw money at this guy and have him to a poor job. Let me know any thoughts. I posted this in the regional forum too.

2. What would be a fair value for this car if he decides to sell? A man who works with my dad offered 8k, which I know is way too low. He just threw in a lowball. Robert Neal made a comment that my dad could sell it to him for 16k, I am not sure if he would actually buy it. I would be interested in buying it from my dad if he sells it. I get the feeling that for a car like this its pretty much what the buyer is willing to pay. Any insight here would be appreciated. As a ballpark I would guess low to mid 20s.

3. Like I mentioned before, my dad has kept very good care of this car and he believes it to be the most reliable car he has owned. Is there anything we should take a look at mechanically just in case? It runs fine, my dads only real complaint is the a/c. What can be done for the a/c?

Thanks in advance guys, look forward to some good info.
You can solve the A/C cooling efficiency for less than $50. Buy 2 12 volt THIN radiator fans and intall them INSIDE the engine lid PULLING airflow through the engine lid condensor. Mine are wired so that they run in parallel, 12 volts each, when the compressor clutch is engaged, but in series, 6 volts each, when the A/C is on but the compressor is not currently engaged.

The major short-coming of the Porsche system is the lack of condensor efficiency in city stop and go traffic, engine mostly at or near idle and therefore very little, insufficient, airflow through the rear lid condensor.

I was able to disconnect the horribly inefficient (***) front blower/fan in my '88 as a result of adding the 2 rear fans. The only good thing about the front blower/condensor combination is that it is a clear acknowledgement by Porsche of the inadequacy or shortcoming of the refrigerant condensing capability.

*** Ancient DC motor design PLUS restricted blower inlet airflow capability PLUS poor front condensor airflow coverage.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions: 1986 911 targa