Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Which of these two would you consider and why

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 06:10 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts
Just got home. It made it, 1,100 miles. I drove it hard too.

I am really second guessing myself about the turbo look (red car). This car has a lot of little stuff that needs fixing. I did get some more money knocked off after I had the Porsche inspection. Looks like I will be asking for help on a few things.

Car runs strong and mechanically seems very sound. I know it sounds corny, but I am proud of the car for making it. Lots of stop and go traffic in Philadelphia, Wilmington, D.C. and etc. Seemed to get really good gas milage.

Two things: Clutch pedal started squeeking. I noticed it was real slippery when I first got it. Maybe they oiled it to stop the squeek. Only squeeks when the car is urrning. Is thisa a sign of the master or slave cylinder or just no big deal.

Second thing: The battery seemed to get real hot after running hard with the A/C on for several hours. Had a rotten egg like smeel to it. There was some condensationa round the battery and fuise box just by the battery. Is the battery bad or is this a sign of something else.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:22 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Squeak could mean a new roll pin and a cluster rebuild. Doubtful with those miles -

The stink could be from a bad voltage regulator overcharging. Check the charging levels closely.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:48 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Is the roll pin cluster issue expensive?
Old 06-15-2003, 09:53 PM
RANDY P
Racer

It's unusual that the pedal cluster would go bad so early. To answer your question, it's mostly just a pain to do. I've been quoted anywhere from $200-$500 for the pedal cluster rebuild..

Yank the carpet and the wooden foot panel and have a look. At the very least it gives you a chance to clean out all the gunk down there. The problem may be obvious.

rjp
Old 06-16-2003, 11:15 AM
JeremyW964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your PPI didn't reveal this? I would be pissed. The clutch could be anything. Is it original? There were some problems with the clutch fork - many were fixed under warranty.

The battery problem sounds like a bad voltage regulator. Or a battery that is arching (maybe not tied down properly. Again something a PPI should uncover. Unfortunately there is no standard for PPI's.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:05 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

The battery smell began about 600 miles or so into the trip. The clutch did not squeek when I picked it up, but the pedal was slippery like it had oil on it.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:16 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Is it just me? Or every time a car changes hands something goes wrong? Every car I've bought or sold had something malfunction within several days of ownership. Jinxed.

Anyhow, one of the buyer's guides I have says that internally regulated Porsche alternators burn out quickly, usually around 40K miles -

Wasn't Armor all on the pedals?
Old 06-17-2003, 01:41 AM
SPDRacer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can say that again Randy. My car was in the shop two weeks after I got it after my input shaft of my transmission snapped in two. But then again, I am jinxed as well with cars.
The battery problem definently sound like a voltage regulator problem, causing the battery to recieve much more than is needed to charge it, thus, heating it up.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:07 AM
Christian S.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I can join the jinx story...... Drove my 87 Cab 300 miles after buying it with the guy who had found it for me to his place - no problems apparent.

Picked up the car detailed and looking great a couple of days later. Drove it 60 miles home. Ran beautifully, parked it outside the house and admired it.

Half an hour later, as it was getting dark, decided one last run was in order - started it and pulled the headlight switch out - black smoke poured out of the dash, the sound of electrical arcing with that wonderful smell of acrid burning plastic/rubber........ The headlight switch had worked fine the night before......

One disconnected battery later that initial glow of ownership was slightly dented!

But fear not Doug - since then the ownership experience has got better and better. I'm convinced, that most of these things are just the inevitable consequence of mechanical items being used again after a long time of sitting idle.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:08 AM
JeremyW964
Instructor

Wow - I am lucky - Picked up my 1987 Cab in Chicago in December and drove it 1200 miles in two days to my home in St. Petersburg. My first issue just raised it's head - I have a sticky brake caliper - so bought some rebuilt ones and some new rotors, lines and wheel bearings and will replace the whole ball of wax this weekend.

I'll take this opportunity to pray to the Porsche god - thank you all mighty Porsche god!
Old 06-17-2003, 11:25 AM
smoak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tend to agree with Jeremy about the Turbo look cars. I think they initially have a great deal of looks to them but the lack of the Turbo kinds makes me go.. oh its a Turbo look not a Turbo. I do know that these cars are more valuable than the standard though and some argue well worth the premium.

On the other hand, I LOVE the diamond blue paint job. It really is a great color combination. I could do without the signature seats personally but that is what makes the car, unique. The miles are good, the condition from the picure looks good. The PPI was good. IMO Sounds like "that be the one!"

Tough choices in life... Red p-car... Blue p-car... Turbo look... Ann. Edition...
Old 06-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its funny... in this thread, all the blue Porsche owners said "take the blue" and all of the red Porsche owners said "take the red". Guess we all want to reconfirm our own choices. Color of a car really does make a huge difference in our psychological perceptions of it.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:46 PM
Bob S
Instructor

From a RED Porsche owner---I would have taken the BLUE one.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:39 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Personally I'd go for the blue. The two cars are pretty different. If you're a flamboyant type of guy and wouldn't mind flaunting and being noticed that you have a Porsche buy the red one. If you want the basic 911 shape in a beautiful but understated color then go with the blue one.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:03 AM
DCN 911
Track Day

Go for the red turbo look - the flared fenders is balanced properly by the turbo tail. I have always felt that a turbo tail on a non-turbo body (the diamond blue 88)looks out of proportion. The flaring on the turbo body works well with the turbo tail.

Just my two cents

Dean
'88 911 Carrera Coupe (Guards Red) and loving it!

Quick Reply: Which of these two would you consider and why