Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dilapidated Porsche worthwhile??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by techwrench
I'm aware that these things cost money. I'm driving a V12 BMW and can assure you, parts for that aren't cheap either.....
But you aren't aware. You wouldnt be asking the question. A $1000 911 that looks like that is not a good starting point, unless it is something like a '72 S or a model that has value. A nice '78 Targa does not fit that mold.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I've been on this train too, see the "fun" red car to the left? That coulda been a nice 996 GT3 at this point. But, it was fun to build.
I've complemented that fun car because it reeks of originality and tasteful customization.

It's all about the slow extraction of funds and the time required to put it all together......
Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I've complemented that fun car because it reeks of originality and tasteful customization.

It's all about the slow extraction of funds and the time required to put it all together......
Thanks. Please know that there is a fair amount of experience here, and this car as a rehab project just doesn't make sense. Going the route of parting it out makes sense, and could fund a nicer car to start with.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Thanks. Please know that there is a fair amount of experience here, and this car as a rehab project just doesn't make sense. Going the route of parting it out makes sense, and could fund a nicer car to start with.
I appreciate the advice. I agree with you to a point. Right now I only know what little the owner and others have told me about it, and what can be gathered from observation. It might not be problematic and it may only need paint and interior and some mechanicals.............then again, it may be a basket case and not worth saving. If it can be had for little, it is worth it to find out. If it is a basket case, then so be it. This isn't my first car.....I've been doing this for 25 years as both a hobby and as a means of driving some very cool cars......wish I had kept at least one of them.... then again, every car I have ever owned had a story and more or less came into my posession for one reason or another.......my current car included. Don't know if anyone else has had the same type of automotive experience.....
Old 10-28-2011, 09:32 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

... some times if they wanna jump .. you just have to let em jump ..
Old 11-13-2011, 11:48 PM
markaria1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its sad to see a 911 sit like that... for 1k i say get it so it doesnt sit outside any longer (blasphemy!) and then decide if its something to part out or work on. Worse case you will easily make your 1k back
Old 11-14-2011, 02:36 AM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markaria1
its sad to see a 911 sit like that... for 1k i say get it so it doesnt sit outside any longer (blasphemy!) and then decide if its something to part out or work on. Worse case you will easily make your 1k back
I'm STILL trying to convince the owner to sell it to me.......So far, there is no motivation for him to do so and the car just sits there, rotting away, getting more deteriorated by the day..."Negotiations" have garnered nothing more than one reason, or another reason, or another NOT to part with it..... Should be a crime to let something slide like that.........

I'm trying to convince him that sending it to a new home will help avoid pushing it into a dumpster one day........ Harsh Seattle winters here are literally murdering what's left...If I got a phone call telling me that it was finally up for sale, I'd be there in 6 minutes.

Any suggestions on how to motivate the owner to part with it are welcome!! Please!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:51 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

For him its more emotional than financial . Some part of his past he doesnt want to let go . I say just leave him in peace.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
For him its more emotional than financial . Some part of his past he doesnt want to let go . I say just leave him in peace.
As sad as it is to see another SC perish, sometimes the circumstances are justified.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I have seen this happen before in my family.

1970 purple Cuda in perfect condition had some minor engine issues (about $500 to fix). The ex-relative got frustrated and decided to let the car sit under a tree on Long Island while the grass grew under the car and the once perfect interior was covered in moss and moid

He even recived a few offers of $20K and up a few times and refused,

10 years later my uncle that owned the land paid someone $50 to haul it to the scap yard.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GothingNC
I have seen this happen before in my family.

1970 purple Cuda in perfect condition had some minor engine issues (about $500 to fix). The ex-relative got frustrated and decided to let the car sit under a tree on Long Island while the grass grew under the car and the once perfect interior was covered in moss and moid

He even recived a few offers of $20K and up a few times and refused,

10 years later my uncle that owned the land paid someone $50 to haul it to the scap yard.
That's shameful!! My first car was a '69 Mustang that a neighbor left on the street for 10 years, unlocked with the windows open a crack....I tried and tried to buy it with no luck. Finally, after a snow storm, some clown broad-sided the passenger front fender and door...shortly thereafter it was mine for $200. I fixed it and drove it for 10 years before selling it......

I just don't understand the lack of appreciation people have for fine cars.

I'm hoping that patience and persistence pay off. I waited 3 years for my BMW and it was worth it. Unfortunately this SC doesn't have that long to live.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any suggestions on how to motivate the owner to part with it are welcome!! Please!
Offer more money. You're looking for a free ride, and the owner knows that.

Brett
Old 11-14-2011, 04:14 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Offer more money. You're looking for a free ride, and the owner knows that.

Brett
And a commitment to a thorough restoration. The owner is not as responsive to money because he has emotions tied up in it. This is common with 'fine' cars and the owner is reviewing the potential buyer(you)with as much scrutiny as you are giving the car. Money AND a promise may satisfy the criteria. You seem naive about the potential problems of this car, and thats OK, most people are; even the people who have been through all sorts of cars as a career cannot accurately gauge a vintage 911 until they've been through a few of them.
The allure of a cheap Porsche has ruined families, drained bank accounts, forclosed homes...be very careful.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whalebird
And a commitment to a thorough restoration. The owner is not as responsive to money because he has emotions tied up in it. This is common with 'fine' cars and the owner is reviewing the potential buyer(you)with as much scrutiny as you are giving the car. Money AND a promise may satisfy the criteria. You seem naive about the potential problems of this car, and thats OK, most people are; even the people who have been through all sorts of cars as a career cannot accurately gauge a vintage 911 until they've been through a few of them.
The allure of a cheap Porsche has ruined families, drained bank accounts, forclosed homes...be very careful.
I agree with you 100%. I have been friends with the owner for 30+ years... He knows my intentions and sincerity....Money has also been discussed.....
I'm not after a "free ride", he knows that as well......he also knows I have the capability to breathe new life into it. What it needs is a chance to survive.

You are correct, this would be my first 911 and I know next to nothing about them compared to everyone here. What I do know is that every "exotic" car has its own set of quirks and "special needs".....just ask the V12 I currently drive......They don't get much more difficult to fix and maintain than that.... Any other V12 owners here that can support my claim??

I'd like to thank EVERYONE here for their insight, wisdom, and for adding a much needed 3rd-Party point of view......
Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a waffle iron!

Quick Reply: Dilapidated Porsche worthwhile??