Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Vin issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Laszlo Ten
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vin issues

Hello, this is my first post so take it easy on me.

I have been looking for a pcar for the last year and am taking my time to find the right one.

I found one that is in very good condition but has a descrepency with the vin. The sticker on the door and the options sticker have the same vin. The one stamped on the body is different.

Are they all like this? To be honest, I have never gotten far enough in an inspection to actually see all 3 vins. Most of the time the body was pretty rough for me to take it any further.

Please let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has a lot of ZZZZZ's in it , it's probably OK. A lot of them were delivered that way. What does the title have on it? If the title matches the two other locations, It should be valid.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

All the bodies were labeled ZZZ as the final destination was not determined at the time the bodies were built.

Make sure the last five digits on the body match the other numbers and and the title you should be OK.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:25 AM
Laszlo Ten
8th Gear

Thanks, you are right. The rest match up except for the zzz's.

I also just did a vin check on autocheck and it tells me there might be a possible odometer rollback. I would have to pull the speedo and check the date on the back, make sure if it's the original. If it is then it's a definite rollback, right?

Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:40 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

It could be a replacement or just an error.

The date on the back of the speedo will only let you know if that speedo is date correct to the car. The gear pin is easily broken on these 911 cars if the trip odometer is reset while the car is at a moderate speed. This will allow the MPH needle to work, however the odometer gear (numbers) will not continue to roll forward, hince, logging on correct mileage.

If the speedometer as well as the odometer is working, then pull the speedo from the dash, it might be easier to pull the clock and "finger" the speedo out from the rear. Pay attention to the rear of the black bezel. look for any prying or unusual dents to the bezel.

This will be a tell sign if the bezel was pried open to expose the face of the speedo. Keep in mind, the acrylic (or glass)lens may have been replaced or a freshing up of the paint may have been done to the unit as well as a replacement gear.

You should take a good look at many other parts wear to determine age. What's original and what's replaced.

I wouldn't make this the deal breaker.

What is the year of the car?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Laszlo Ten
8th Gear

It's an '86 with 85k on speedo and 110+ on the car. Everything looks up to par except for the dreaded rusty battery pan. Who knows what lurks under there. I think i'll pass on this one but they are extremely harder and harder to find good examples in Canada. When you do find one they want $24+++. I think thats way to much for a 1980, don't you agree?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ml#post8917636

Try this one out.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

The one on the A piller and the one on the body should match each other and the title. The others don't really matter.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

it could certainly be a roll back .. and it could be an replacement or even a mistake .. but bottom line on a 25 year old car is who cares unless its a pristine example or your paying a premium. Go by your PPI and factor in the millage ..

Last edited by theiceman; 10-06-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Vin issues