Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

removing alternator from fan housing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 03:45 AM
mikew
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post removing alternator from fan housing?

Hi All,
I'm in the process of removing my alternator for refurbishment. Got the assembly out of the car but is having no luck getting the alternator out of the fan housing. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I've read the Pelican tech article and tried hammering it out. Is there a trick to this or just hammer harder.... Thanks in advance for all replies. Happy New Year.

Mike, 88 Targa
Old 12-26-2001, 09:04 AM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

Tap the bolts that are sticking through the housing with a brass mallet. Alternate sides as you are tapping. Go slow. It should come right out.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:50 AM
carrera
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The solution is to use a really big sledge hammer and whack the xxxx out of it.
Just kidding, the easiest solution is to just bring the assembly to the rebuilders and they will gladly look after it.
Why cause yourself grief and potential damage to the housing.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:01 PM
pbs911
Instructor

I agree with Paul. Spray a little penetrating oil on it first. I did this last weekend. I used a plastic hammer and just tapped on the bolts. I came off after a few hits. This is a good time to have the fan powder coated.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:53 AM
Louis
Advanced

I agreee with PBS I replaced mine a few months ago. Spray a little penetrating oil on the shaft area and let it set for a time. A few taps with a hard wooded mallet will do the job. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:15 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the pros do it by laying a couple of folded shop rags on the floor for padding, and bonking the edge of the fan housing on them. two bonks on one side, turn 180°, and two on the other. the fan would face down towards the floor to do this. inertia and gravity do the job. you will never have to pound on the studs or the housing again.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:10 PM
mikew
AutoX

Thanks guys for all the replies,
Got it out of the housing this morning. Since i didn't have a soft mallet/hammer, I tried the bonking method-worked like magic. It took a few light bonks and the alternator was out. Now, what's the trick to getting the fan out?
Old 12-27-2001, 03:52 PM
mikew
AutoX

Just got the fan out. Did it by lightly bonking the alternator shaft on a work bench. Thanks again for all help, now I'll be on my way to the rebuild shop....

mike 88 targa
Old 01-04-2002, 04:17 PM
Wil Ferch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike:
My post on this topic ( both here on the Rennlist site and also duplicated on the Pelican site)...talks about how to remove the fan and the fan housing. Careful when you bonk the end of the threads..they can flatten out and make re-insertion of the nuts difficult. See my post.

Quick Reply: removing alternator from fan housing?