Possible oil leak (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 12:46 AM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Possible oil leak (long)

Hi all,
I posted this message on the 993 board but I'm hoping that someone here can help me with some hints or recommendations.

I had my 95 993 car in for a 30K tuneup approx. 3 weeks ago. It came back fine with no problems found. Beforehand I had never noticed any leaks of any kind.
Afterwards I have noticed what appears to be some intermittent oil leaks under the rear section of the car. It definitely appears to be atleast partly composed of oil due to the color.
In addition though my driving habits have changed substantially. At roughly the same time as the 30K service I started driving the car a lot more. Basically been using it as a daily driver approx. 40 miles each way of mostly highway driving versus previously as a weekend car. Its also been somewhat chilly so I have been running the heater pretty constantly.
I only ever see the leak after leaving the car overnight, never at work in the parking lot even though it's left there for atleast 8 hours between going to work and leaving.
With my extremely limited knowledge of mechanics I am hoping it is one of the following:
1) Some sort of gasket left loose during the oil change.
2) Theres a bit of oil residue left on the underside of the car and its mixing with condensation from my running of the A/C (I know this is far-fetched) but on my Honda I definitely get condensation under the car after running the A/C for extended periods).

Interestingly enough I tested the second hypothesis by not running the A/C one day and the next day I did not have any leakage underneath the car, but that my have just been a coincidence. Unfortunately I came out yesterday and again noticed some leakage so I've decided to make a trip back to the mechanice.
If anyone has any recommendations (things to look for or ask the mechanic), or information to set my mind at rest it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-25-2001, 04:10 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts
Alex;

You need to be a little more more specific on where the oil leak is. Right, left, front or rear of engine, however you need to drop the engine tray. It's very easy to do. Your leak can be from valve cover gaskets, chain housing gaskets, to oil filter seal.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:20 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Alex,

Valve covers seem to be the most typical leaker on a 993 engine. My own engine has a super-slow leaking lower-right valve cover.

Is the leak actually leaving drips on the garage floor, or just moisture/drips on the engine?

Best of luck!
Old 12-28-2001, 03:28 AM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

Thanks for the replies.

I am getting drops on the ground. Overnight I would say I eventually get an area of fluid 1-2" by 1-2" on the ground of light reddish/brown liquid. This has been intermittent and the amount of fluid varies from day to day. From a visual inspection it appears that I can also see a wet spot on the undercarriage of the car towards the rear (a foot or two towards the center before the rear wheels).

Thanks for the recommendations. It appears that I definitely have some sort of oil leak that I will have to have looked at.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:51 PM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

I looked again last night and I need to clarify the location of the leak.

The oil is dropping from a spot directly between the rear wheels. But I can see what appears to be some sort of wet spot on the under-carriage of the car roughly 1 foot further towards the front of the car.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:44 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts
Alex;

I'd bet that it's your power steering pump which is located on the passenger side of the engine close to where you are discribing. If you pull the cap off you power steering reservoir, check the color of the fluid, it should be a match. Smell the fluids also.
Old 12-29-2001, 01:03 PM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

Thanks very much for the reply.
I'm going to check that today. I had been wondering about the fluid because though it had the look of oil it definitely did not have a very oily feel to it but I assumed this was because synthetic oil is lighter than normal oil. If it turns out to be what you mentioned is this some sort of DIY to fix or not? I find it very odd that this did not show up during my 30K tuneup but I guess its just coincidence.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2001, 09:19 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Alex,

I had a leaking power steering pump seal repaired back in '94. Five hours labor, parts were trivial. I don't believe it's your typical DIY job, depending on how much of a challenge you care to take on.

Of course, if you're losing enough fluid to see drips beneath the car, you should find your reservoir level low--or at least on the low side of full.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:03 PM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it was just a case of a quickly replaceable part.

Quick Reply: Possible oil leak (long)