Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1976 911S - would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 12:40 PM
NineEightSix
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1976 911S - would you buy?

I am contemplating buying a 76 911S. Owner indicates 130K miles, 30K since documented engine rebuild (don't know the details yet). Good shape, runs well, etc...

The 2.7 cars have a history of issues - overheating, metallurgy problems, emissions systems, low power, etc. I have a Boxster S but am looking for an older 911 to play with.

Owner is asking $5000 OBO. I know that a later car would be better in a number of ways, but $5k I can part with and not worry too much. $12-15k for an SC, for example, is a bigger deal.

Is this possibly worth the gamble or are there too many issues with the 2.7 cars?

Thanks for any opinions or input!
Old 09-06-2001, 02:28 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Yes, there are issues with the 2.7 engine, but they're also well-documented. If the engine was built in the last few years by a reputable shop, then those issues should have been resolved. That's the great secret to these cars - everyone is down on them, not taking that teeny fact into account, so they can generally be a bargain! I paid $8k for my '77 911s widebody targa, and it ran like a champ.

Get a PPI and verify the updates are in place, and it's possible that you've found a decent car for a great price. The low barrier to entry means you have cash left over for upgrades to other systems, like brakes, sway bars, stereo, etc. You can even put in a later engine later on, like I'm doing.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:39 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
A solid rebuild with a time serted case will command a higher price that $5 grand. Make sure that it was really done right or you'll be paying to do it. The cost of fixing the stud problem could turn your $5K investment into a $10K hole in your wallet.

If on the other hand it is clean and the motor was really rebuilt and done properly this could be a great car!

Absolutely get a PPI...
Old 09-07-2001, 01:01 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Actually, I think the negative sentiment towards the 2.7L is so strong that Bruce Anderson himself could rebuild the engine with all titanium components, and people would still think it wasn't worth anything.

Originally posted by J richard:
<STRONG>A solid rebuild with a time serted case will command a higher price that $5 grand. </STRONG>
Old 09-07-2001, 02:50 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

If the rebuilt was done properly and you don't buy it. Let me know where it is and I will buy it.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:28 PM
Steve Zitelli
Instructor

I agree with everyone if the engine is documented on what was done and it was done correctly it's a good deal,but only if the rest of the car is good shape.Paint,interior or rust work can really add up.For comparison
I looked at a 76 euro with a 4spd and a well documented $6200 rebuilt engine,but it needs some rust repair and paint.He was asking 9 I offered him 6 which he didn't except.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:17 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Thom,
I think you missunderstood. A solid rebuild of a 2.7 is a great motor. And as long as it was done right and the car was in good shape I would expect it to be much more valuable than 5 grand. The asking price makes me suspect that either the "rebuild" was not proper, or the car is a mess. Having personally rebuilt my own 74 2.7 years ago (pulled studs) I know that doing it right costs some cash, but once it was back together it was one of my most favorite cars.
Old 09-09-2001, 10:03 AM
Clinton R Hodges II
AutoX

Cool

Have the ppi done. Then take the car out and drive it hard to get it hot (180f) and to get a feel for the transmission and brakes. These car pull hard from second on up and brake well. If this car can do this and the rust is non-existent to very little then go for it, as the price is right.

I have a 77 911S 2.7, that I put on a diet. My goal is 1hp/10lbs of weight. These cars a quick and nimble and fun to drive. Not to mention easy to work on.

Let me know where the car is or email pictures I am interested if you are not.

Clinton
Anchorage, Alaska
Old 09-10-2001, 04:15 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Question

Clinton, my 2,7 911 is on a diet too.

I've thought removing back seats & spare, but my imagination pretty much stops there. My car already is 'lacking' of a/c (car is in Finland, not in Miami ;-), it has racing exhaust w/out any heat exhangers & ducts, BBS wheels, fiberglass hood w/ rearwing & pumbers and (inner) door panels are light.

Do you have any other plans/good ideas what to do?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2001, 04:28 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

No, I understand, and myself I've often been a lone voice in defense of the 2.7, but the car market being what it is, you can sink close to 10k into a 2.7 rebuild, but to Joe Porsche Buyer out on the street, it's still a 2.7l-era 911, and thus worth less (but not worthless). There's been so much bad press - some of it deserved - that it will take a while for the value of these cars to come up close to SC levels.

Perception is reality - would you hire Richard Jewel as a security guard?

Originally posted by J richard:
<STRONG>Thom,
I think you missunderstood. A solid rebuild of a 2.7 is a great motor. And as long as it was done right and the car was in good shape I would expect it to be much more valuable than 5 grand. The asking price makes me suspect that either the "rebuild" was not proper, or the car is a mess. Having personally rebuilt my own 74 2.7 years ago (pulled studs) I know that doing it right costs some cash, but once it was back together it was one of my most favorite cars.
</STRONG>
Old 09-10-2001, 04:31 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Angry

You need to work the other side of the equation; when my car is done, I'll be in the high 8's or low 9's lb/hp
http://www.vintagebus.com/3.6

BTW, I think I'll be picking it up today :eek

Originally posted by Flying Finn:
<STRONG>Clinton, my 2,7 911 is on a diet too.

I've thought removing back seats & spare, but my imagination pretty much stops there. My car already is 'lacking' of a/c (car is in Finland, not in Miami ;-), it has racing exhaust w/out any heat exhangers & ducts, BBS wheels, fiberglass hood w/ rearwing & pumbers and (inner) door panels are light.

Do you have any other plans/good ideas what to do?

Thanks!</STRONG>
Old 09-11-2001, 10:22 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally posted by Thom Fitzpatrick:
<STRONG>You need to work the other side of the equation; when my car is done, I'll be in the high 8's or low 9's lb/hp</STRONG>
I'm around 10. My car's weight is 2250 and hp is about 215 (euro Porsche, racing exhaust, modified injection & some head modifications). It is quite fast & feels great! I once did some 'test' with my friend who at the time had -2000 Boxster, it was no matc to my 'senior' Porsche

Quick Reply: 1976 911S - would you buy?