Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I need to install a complete oil cooling system in my car...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 02:20 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Post I need to install a complete oil cooling system in my car...

I'll make this story short, so as not to bore everyone to tears: I ignominiously wrecked my previous car, a beautiful '77 Carrera 3.0, and am using the engine and tranny in a '78 Euro SC roller I bought from a gentleman in Florida. The only thing missing on the roller is the oil lines. To further complicate this situation, the two oil lines that connect the case, oil tank, and external thermostat on the Carrera 3.0 were taken from the shell during the Thanksgiving holiday--I had stored the oil tank (with lines still attached to the external thermostat) in the shell, and they're gone now (I was out of town). So this leaves me in the position of needing the complete cooling setup: the two rear, short lines, a thermostat, the lines that run up to the front cooler, and a front cooler.

I'm wondering what my options are. For one, this engine has SSI's on it, so the two rear lines (if I use factory lines) need to be early style. I'm also on a fairly tight budget, and not concerned with originality. I've tried to price out stock lines and trombone cooler, and they're hard to find and expensive, as is the thermostat. Does anyone recommend buying aftermarket lines, thermostat, and cooler, and simply fabricating a cooling system? I checked out the website of Mocal's U.S. distributor (http://www.batinc.net/porsche.htm)
and it looks like they offer a nice setup. Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks,
Noah
Old 12-20-2001, 02:24 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Noah, you can certainly go through the PITA of locating good used stuff...or make a ONE time purchase through Mocal or another popular/knowledgable company that offers oil cooling products for Porsches.

Mocal is a top notch company, been around for awhile, if they offer a package deal at an attractive price, I would take advantage of that...otherwise, you'll be searching for pieces-parts and may wind up spending the same amount when it's all over.

Sorry to hear someone "borrowed" these parts from you...it's a crying shame that some people cannot seem to keep their grubby little hands off of things that are just plain and simply NOT theirs!

Quick Reply: I need to install a complete oil cooling system in my car...