Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

drop engine to adjust valves on SC????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 07:50 PM
sanchez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post drop engine to adjust valves on SC????

I took my 911SC in for a valve adjustment. I had no experience with this mechanic, but he is close to my home and always has Porsches, Ferraris, old MB, etc. in for service (must know what he is doing?). What threw me off was his insistence that the engine be dropped to "properly" adjust the intake valves. I cancelled the service.

Is it necessary to drop my engine to access the intake side? Any experieces on would be appreciated.

Todd
911SC
Old 11-01-2002, 08:31 PM
Ken Fredrickson
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Todd,
I have an '82 SC, and I've never had anyone drop the engine to do a valve adjustment.

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~
Orange Coast Region PCA
Old 11-01-2002, 09:08 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
sanchez:

It's time to find another mechanic.
Old 11-01-2002, 10:27 PM
cmoss

Run away... run away...
Old 11-02-2002, 01:21 AM
sanchez
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies! The shop, upon closer inspection, is more a high-end used car dealer. The owner, who dealt with me personally, probably feeds this BS to every Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley, and Mercedes owner he talks with. He also told me to sell the car immediately -- based solely on the mileage! It's too bad -- I was hoping to take one of the Ferraris as a loaner!!!!!

Todd
1981 911SC
Old 11-02-2002, 11:07 PM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is not unusaul practice for a p-car mechanic. There are 2 reputable shops within an hour of my house that do a partial engine drop to adjust the valves. Both have been in buisness for over 20 years, and look after some pretty impressive p-cars ( A 934, 993tt Pikes peak winner, cup cars, etc.).

My advice to you is get the Bentley manual & 101 projects for your 911,and learn how to do this yourself. Or find another p-car ownere (nut) in your PCA area, and have them give you a hand. The $ saved can be used for other improvements or repairs, and over time can add up to quit a bit of $.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:24 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QB]This is not unusaul practice for a p-car mechanic.

Huh?! I am a p-car mechanic and in 18 years I have not once dropped the motor out of any form of 911 only to adjust the valves. It's a three hour job on an SC. No more.

Find yourself a new shop. Good Luck.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:52 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

How far is a partial engine drop? I have read about them but the only partial drop that I have done was just far enough to change motor mounts. That said, it seems like with a partial engine drop, the intake valves would be less accessible unless the engine were dropped 18 inches or more.

Quick Reply: drop engine to adjust valves on SC????