77 930 turbo with 858 miles!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 10:48 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 77 930 turbo with 858 miles!!!!!!

no **** today i veiwed a 77 930 turbo
carrera that had 858 miles. locked up in a manufacturing plant here in wichita, kansas!
i will not devulge the location or owner but i will have photos developed soon. this car was originally converted to a slant nose has
brake ducts killer stero and has run an 11.20 1/4. it has the largest intercooler
i have ever seen on a turbo( yes i know 77 didn,t have them but this one does, made by the owner) a little help with my other post about brake vent oil coolers will go along way to getting me to spill my guts.
keith
Old 12-19-2001, 01:42 AM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Tell Rob about it: http://www.turbocarrera.com/

I tried to buy a '77 930 several months ago, but we couldn't agree on a price.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:10 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
850miles...wow that's not even broken in!!
Old 12-20-2001, 12:56 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
I hate to post the obvious, but with 850 miles in 25 years you are going to have some serious rot problems with that car. Every bit of tubing on the car would have to be replaced. And yes it is a great thing if you wanted orginality, but it has a custom intercooler and a non factory (correct me if I'm wrong) slant nose making it not so original. What is the advantage of buying this car. I guess if the paint and interior are perfect it might be a consideration unless the price has been jacked up due to the low miles.

As a car buying rule goes, too many miles is bad, and extreem minimum of miles is also no good. Too much can be wrong with it, but agian if the price is right, go for it.
Old 12-20-2001, 01:22 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

When I had knee surgery, I couldn't drive my '77 for about a month and a half. In that short time, 2 injectors clogged and the car ran like crap when I did get to drive it, and I'm very on top of the maintenance on my cars. I can't imagine 25 years of non-use.

I'm always amused when people get spastic about ultra low mileage but not rare cars. The only intrinsic value is in the low mileage, but any miles you subsequently put on devalue it, even though they don't put any significant wear on the car.

Now if it was an 850-mile duesenberg, Ok, you've got something, but otherwise you're not much better off than having found a carton of milk un-opened from 1977.... (ok, a little more...)

The cost to bring that puppy up to operating condition (new fuel system, new clutch, all new brakes, new seals, turbo bearings are probably toast, probably should open the engine to check for rust on the cylinder walls, etc, etc) is probably close to a 150k mile car of similar vintage.

Quick Reply: 77 930 turbo with 858 miles!!!!!!