Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default A/C upgrade help

My 1987 Targa can use some help with an upgrade on the A/C. I have my 997 to drive which has super A/C so I am looking to balance cost and performance. I have spent hours reviewing the links on Rennlist, which has been a wealth of info. My stock A/C system is fully charged, but with the Houston heat it is marginal at best. I would like advice, pro and con about the following:

1. Window tinting. My Targa has original paint and interior, but the huge amount of glass makes me think about this cheap, but non-original alternative.
2. Procooler. Have you had a big difference on this upgrade by itself?
3. Griffiths front condenser. This would appear to be a large improvement with stock install.

I am not interested in improving the condenser on the back whale tail (do not want to increase the engine heat) or installing one in the fender wells.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:41 AM
kevinr1247
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-28-2011, 01:47 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you were to add 2 12 volt radiator type fans to "pull" airflow through the rear condensor that would likely improve refrigerant condensation substantially while at the same time keeping the engine cooler, cooled down, especially in stop and go traffic. Run them in series with the A/C "enabled" and in parallel with the A/C compressor clucth engaged.

You might even consider adding a thermostatic switch to one of the oil cooler lines to automatically switch the fans on "full blast" if the oil temperature rises to an extraordinary level, say in that same stop and go traffic.

"two birds with one stone."
Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think window tint is a must. Out here we get 110-115F for months on end.

I found the Pro Cooler made a huge difference, and does not cause a heat issue with the engine. I think the ultimate solution may be to add a second condenser somewhere away from heat, inside an airstream. I like the idea of the DD front condenser, but have no idea if it works. You'd think it would come with an upgrade to that little fan.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:28 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wwest
If you were to add 2 12 volt radiator type fans to "pull" airflow through the rear condensor that would likely improve refrigerant condensation substantially while at the same time keeping the engine cooler, cooled down, especially in stop and go traffic. Run them in series with the A/C "enabled" and in parallel with the A/C compressor clucth engaged.

You might even consider adding a thermostatic switch to one of the oil cooler lines to automatically switch the fans on "full blast" if the oil temperature rises to an extraordinary level, say in that same stop and go traffic.

"two birds with one stone."
Never thought about wiring these fans into the oil temp side...that's a great idea. THANKS!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Michael T
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone install the Griffiths front condenser by itself?

Quick Reply: A/C upgrade help