Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

H4 headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:52 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H4 headlight question

I have a 1987 and people tell me I have the H4 headlights. The top to the lense on both sides are turning cloudy inside. Been told I need to replace and cannot clean.

Where is a good source to obtain?
Are these complete units or can I replace the lenses only?
Can they be cleaned on the inside or confirm replacement required?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:01 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Foxpaws posted a cleaning technique using triple distilled vodka, salt, and small marbles -I assume glass, to clean the inside of the lens. Rinse the salt away very very thoroughly.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First picture is H5
Second picture is H4

https://rennlist.com/forums/8199562-post26.html

Link Russ was talking about:
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...l?highlight=H4
Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To clean the inside of the lens, remove the light from the car and turn it on its face (use a soft towel for protection. I used vinegar and water or you can use laquer thinner. I also used a terry cloth towel and a long common screwdriver to move the towel around. Remove the wet one and dry with a clean terry towel. If you have a comressor, blow out the inside of the light with a light amount of air to completely dry it. If they are H5's be careful to not use the laquer thinner as it may affect the plastic lens.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:34 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
To clean the inside of the lens, remove the light from the car and turn it on its face (use a soft towel for protection. I used vinegar and water or you can use laquer thinner. I also used a terry cloth towel and a long common screwdriver to move the towel around. Remove the wet one and dry with a clean terry towel. If you have a comressor, blow out the inside of the light with a light amount of air to completely dry it. If they are H5's be careful to not use the laquer thinner as it may affect the plastic lens.
Perfectly put !!!!!!!!!

Doyle
Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have trouble with the center bulb reflector shield? That thing is RIGHT in the way, just inside of the bulb receptacle.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:40 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Thanks for all the info. Especially the pics. From what I gather, it would seem I have the H5 not the H4 as I have believed. For the time being, I will leave everything as is for now until I have the nerve to take apart the light to clean the inside. I do not drive at night too often so an upgrade would not be too beneficial and for cosmetic purposes I'll try to clean them at a later time.

Thanks to all.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 PM
syzygy
Instructor

I don't believe you can take the H5s apart. An easy way to tell if H5 is that they have three little raised nubs to orientate the aiming machine. H4s don't have these, plus they say H4 in the middle of the lens. The above methods of cleaning the inside without disassembling them work well.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Originally Posted by syzygy
I don't believe you can take the H5s apart. An easy way to tell if H5 is that they have three little raised nubs to orientate the aiming machine. H4s don't have these, plus they say H4 in the middle of the lens. The above methods of cleaning the inside without disassembling them work well.
Thanks for the extra info. Now I know I have the H5. The whole assembly can come out and be cleaned as mentioned above? Have not tried to take out anything as of yet.

Quick Reply: H4 headlight question