Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

emissions testing in IL, or elsewhere

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 03:17 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts
Post emissions testing in IL, or elsewhere

Hey IL rennlisters,... (or anyone in a state that has uses a dyno type rollers to load the engine during the test.)

I've heard some horror stories about cars being damaged while undergoing the state required emissions testing. The trib even did a big expose about it a couple years ago

Anyone have any recent experiences they can share about having their P-cars inspected?

I'm on my 3rd notice for my cab, and have to have it tested immediately or lose my registration.

Any and all comments/insights/reassurances would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike in Chi
Old 06-29-2001, 05:10 PM
Mark Kiwior
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mike,
I had my 86’ 911 tested on the dyno last summer and had no problems. The only thing which concerned me was the tester not being very good with the manual transmission. She kinda had the car jumping around at about 60mph in 2nd gear, I was a little scared. It was funny when they put the fan in front of the car to cool the engine and tried to get the engine RPM’s from the front also. All in all there was no problems. My Uncle has a 944 turbo and has never had a problem either.

Mark
Old 06-29-2001, 05:32 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mark's story reminds me of when my brother had his '83 911SC tested. The manager had it on the dyno and couldn't keep the car in the test program range. He kept overshooting the mph range that was needed to do the test. After about 30 seconds of fighting with the 915 tranny and quick rev'ing 3.0, he gave up and just passed the car.
Old 06-29-2001, 06:36 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the help, guys.

I'll pay particularly close attention to where they place the fan for cooling

Mike
Old 06-30-2001, 12:31 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have a roller dyno for smog testing where I live. The drones who run the test are a hazard to any car the owner values. Knowing this, I told the operator I refused to have an idiot (him) wreck my car. He proceded to tell me he would fail me for this gross insubordination. I bypassed the drone, and asked to see the station manager, explaining my concern to him. He allowed me to operate my car on the dyno myself. It was easy. The car passed. No drones...no damage.
Old 06-30-2001, 04:10 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

You have to be careful with those inspection drone units. They have a very limited computing capacity which is exacerbated by ventilating themselves with carbon monoxide all day long. I had a situation where I took my mom's Mercedes 500sl over there and they put it in 3'rd instead of drive which I did not notice until the car hit the rev limiter. I raised hell. It was a 500sl for god's sake. I went to the manager and they just would not understand that they had it in the wrong gear. All the time they say the test is pre-prescribed for regular operating RPM's, etc... Eventually I just said screw these people and the Eternal Pain in The *** (EPA) and left. It was hopeless arguing with them. On the bright side, they never had trouble with my 911. Yet. I always get a kick though, when I take my Audi V8 quattro in. With awd it cannot go on the rollers and is easily passed. It almost feels like you are getting some control back instead of succumbing to the pressures of the EPA gestapo.

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Ed Bighi ]
Old 06-30-2001, 12:47 PM
Bill B
7th Gear

Angry

Mike, I'm in the same boat you are...I keep putting it off...now I gotta do it. Do you suppose you can convince the operator you have all wheel drive? Let me know how you make out. You first!
Old 06-30-2001, 02:23 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Ed and Bill for your responses.

I appreciate them.

Bill, ok - so I went first

I followed the advice of the various rennlisters (I posted on 3 boards - as usual everyone was very helpful)

I went to the location on Jarvis in Skokie in case you're in the chicago area, asked to see a manager, and explained I wanted to be sure the car was cared for. The first guy said all our technicians are highly trained, and I thought to myself here we go... but then anoither guy walked up and said sure, Ill do it myself, and you can be in the car.

He was great, very careful, did the OBD, etc.

I asked the guys manning the exhaust hose to be careful as well -- everyone was great.

Sometimes your tax dollars work, especially when assisted by a little courtesy.

Let me know how your test goes.

Mike
Old 06-30-2001, 09:16 PM
Ron

I also live in a "roller" state. My normal method with these situations after my first visit is to always refuse to allow one of these "technicians" to operate my car, and ask to see the manager to discuss damage liability. So far, this has resulted in me not turning my ride over to some driver ed reject. As for the test, my 82SC runs real clean, so the actual test is not a problem.
Old 07-01-2001, 09:13 AM
bds1
Advanced

Pay the extra $ and take it to a local recommended gas station that won't play games with your car during inspection. THese kids will never drive a porsche except on rollers and they have no liability so they will have fun doing it.

I'll skip the horror story... find a good shop.

Quick Reply: emissions testing in IL, or elsewhere