Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 08:02 AM
Diecast18
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ignition Timing Question

Car Type: 1977 Porsche 911S
RE: Help Setting Ignition timing

Hello guys, I just put my engine back in my car and I'm ready to set the ignition timing (first time). I see a 5 degree ATDC mark on the crankshaft pulley. Some books recommend setting the timing 5 degrees ATDC and others +- 2 degrees TDC for a 77 911 Porsche. Can you tell me how to do this. The sticker on my engine recommends ignition timing to +- 2 degrees TDC. Do you know if this are engine degrees or distributor degrees, since 1 distributor degree equals 2 engine degrees. If you've done this on these early porsches, please send me some tips on how to do it.

Thanks in advance

Louis
Old 10-30-2002, 10:14 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Louis...I set my '77 by first disconnecting dizzy vacuum retard..w/timing light 33deg - 35deg max. advance at around 4k-5k rpm..this should max the full dizzy timing.there is a slot on crank hub to reference. whatever the initial timing is don't matter..the max is what is imortant..I leave dizzy vac. retard disconnected..If you live in mountain or desert areas pay attention to pinging/especially under 2.5k/may have to retard max advance 2deg-4deg..make sure your dizzy advance curve mechanism is working properly/check spec book..and I lube dizzy main shaft with oil/let it flow down shaft..the main dizzy shaft should have almost no horizontal play...the dizzy vac retard is for idle smog..may run cleaner and cooler with vac retard disconnected/especially in "around town" traffic..and if you changed points for an optical or pertronix unit, I would match/check initial timing at all cylinder ignition plug wires/they could be off 2deg-4deg..I think the dizzy is a neglected part of our 911's............Ron
Old 10-30-2002, 09:05 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's a post on pelican about this at this right now.

Quick Reply: Ignition Timing Question