Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heater question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:11 AM
SwissCarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Heater question

O.K a heater question. How long do i have to wait after starting a cold engine to start feeling some warm air through my heater. I have read all the threads on rennlist and have checked that all fans etc are working.I have workied out how to close off the outside air, so that is not the problem. the air coming through is no more than room temp after approx 30 mins of mixed driving.the temp guage is showing about 1/3 warm, does it need to be 1/2 warm(if you know what i mean).Car is 84 Carrera with dial between seats marked up to ten, but no levers.I can hear the electric motor working up to the "red" zone but after this i dont hear the motor working, is this normal? Can someone help otherwise im going to have to reconsider my decision to use my car all year round!!!
Old 10-30-2002, 09:32 AM
Millzeee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is somthing strange there my 85 carrera starts pumping nice warm air out after about 2 minutes and after 5 its baking. i take it your heat exchangers are in good condition, i would have a look at the control flaps and make sure there opening and closing properly when you move the control between the seats.

also the fan in the engine compartment, and in each foot well

if these work it might be worth investigating:

i am not 100% sure about this so don't quote me but it has a thermostat somewhere i think its between the sun visors on the roof this might be faulty and thus tricking the system
Old 10-30-2002, 10:01 AM
SwissCarrera
Instructor

Question

Thanks, i can hear the fan in the engine compartment working, likewise the blowers in the footwell, heat exchangers are in good shape. also the supplementary fans come on when i turn the dial between the seats to the red zone. how does the little thermostat between the sun visors affect the system? Does the heater shut off when it senses a warm cabin? im really lost!!!!! help me people!!!!! am i doing something wrong?
Old 10-31-2002, 11:38 AM
SwissCarrera
Instructor

Im appealing to all members.please can someone help with my problem?
Old 10-31-2002, 12:15 PM
willwest
Advanced

Might not apply to your model but my 78 has two heated airflow "manifolds" near, above, each rear wheel. If you're not asking for heat then all heat exchanger airflow is "dumped" into the open atmosphere under the car. On full heat no airflow is dumped at all and heat modulation is done by varying the "dump" openings.

God, how I do love the HVAC system in my 996.
Old 11-01-2002, 09:34 AM
culcala
1st Gear

I also have a 84 coupe with no heat. Replaced sensor between visors,blower motor works etc. but a little unsure of the correct positions of the levers on the dash and dial between the seats in order to get heat.I have tried varies combinations all with not a hint of heat.So maybe we have the same problem.Is their a procedure to narrow our focus?
Old 11-01-2002, 12:40 PM
TobyPrice
3rd Gear

Cool

I like Millzeee get heat after only a few minutes of engine use. I believe that the hot air from the heater only comes from the hot exhaust manifold and has nothing to do with the engine temperature. Obviously the exhaust only takes a few minutes to get hot (unlike the engine) and hence hot air is available almost immediately. Check your heater flaps etc (not very helpful suggestion really, I know). Good luck - I must go off and get toasted in my turbo.

Quick Reply: Heater question