Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pilot Exalto PE2's listed for 16in rims, but not available.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:39 PM
rollandburn
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pilot Exalto PE2's listed for 16in rims, but not available.

Hi, Looking for new rubber for my 85' 911 and have seen the N-spec Porsche approved list from the following url...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...sanddownloads/

When looking at the pdf under "Overview summer tires classic vehicles and youngtimer " ....

http://files.porsche.com/filestore.a...ault&version=2

..... I see they have listed the Pilot Exalto PE2 for 16 inch rims.

6Jx16
205/55 ZR16
Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 N0

7Jx16
225/50 ZR16
Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2

The issue: I've called quite a few places here in toronto and they say they don't exist for 16 inch rims. When i go to the Michelin website....

http://www.michelinman.ca/tire-selec...alto-pe2-tires

The tires are shown only for 17inch rims which corroborates the tires shops findings. Is there anyone out there who knows if perhaps the Porsche document is out of date or not accurate in some way? Maybe those tires are not made anymore?

I was thinking of the Bridgestone Potenza S-02's but the tirerack.com reviews don't paint a very long lasting picture (re: treadlife).... hence my condsideration of the Exalto's.

The other two approved tires on that pdf are Pirelli P Zero Direzionale (front) and the Asimmetrico (rear).... and the Continental ContiSportContact's.

I may be forcing an issue that isn't that important by trying to acquire N-spec rubber but I figure it couldn't hurt.

I'm just rambling now... if anyone has any thoughts on the above I'd be more than happy to hear your point of view. It seems there are so out there that i'm starting to get dizzy trying to choose. So far tirerack and these lists have been my main source of information... time for people feedback!

Thanks.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Tires (especially 16" dia) get discontinued on a regular basis. I'm sure Porsche does not spend am inordinate amount of time keeping up on 16" sizes on any sort of regular basis.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
rollandburn
Advanced

Just called Downtown Porsche in Toronto and they say all have been discontinued except for the Potenza S-02's.... How lame is that, only 1 N-spec currently made for 16inch rims. The guy at the parts desk is looking in the warehouse for old stock, keeping fingers crossed.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

Tire Rack shows the 16 inch PE2s N0 in stock...bought mine there about 18 months ago...
Old 05-30-2011, 03:46 PM
rollandburn
Advanced

True, tirerack was where I did a lot of research on the Exalto PE2's... however finding them for sale here in Toronto hasn't been so easy.

In the mean time I found (and bought) some Pirelli P Zero Direzionale (f) Asimmetrico (r) N3's for $150CDN per tire from Porsche dealership.... I may get 1 or 2 fun summers out of them. =]

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of these several months ago from Tire Rack. I'm guessing in a couple of years when I need new tires the selection of good 16" tires for our 911's will be nill.

David
Old 06-02-2011, 05:02 PM
rollandburn
Advanced

Just got the car back from the shop... holy cow. Top rubber makes soooo much of a difference! The Pilot Sport A/S's that were on it were nothing compared to these Pzeros... she's now a much smoother ride, quieter... heck even steers easier now lol. Now to test on the back roads!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

=]

Quick Reply: Pilot Exalto PE2's listed for 16in rims, but not available.