Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1985 911 Cannot shift into first and second gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck,

Making sure the gearbox is in neutral and with the shift coupler loose, roughly center the shifter half way between the 3-4 plane and straight up (no leaning).

Tighten the shift coupler and gently push the shift lever forward, watch the shift shaft @ the coupler making sure third gear engages fully.

You will initially probably end up with uneven fore-aft throws (3-4) dont worry about this for now.

Once 3rd is engaged in the gearbox, loosen the shift coupler again so that you can again move the shifter, now making sure the shifter is again pointing straight up (no leaning) move fore and aft and roughly watch the range of throw. Now, making sure the shifter is 100% straight, place the shift lever into where third position on the shifter is and tighten the coupler.

Using this method accurately locates third gear and the rest of the gears will fall in their respective range of selection. Worst that can happen is you end up with the throws fore and aft uneven in lenght which you can readjust by repeating the procedure.

As a side note, and baring any other internal issues, sometimes the shift gate / rod locating fork nuts in the 915 box will loosen up and mess up the shifting pattern, this is the small plate that can be unbolted from the case without disassmbly.

I have also seen the actual shift rod separate at its leading edge (right below shifter) where the ball cup end will dislodge from the factory braise point hence discombobulating the shift pattern just as a coupler out of adjustment would. I have only seen this happen on cars with short shift kits installed...both factory and the more expensive better known units.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Chuck L
AutoX

Rocs,

Thank you so much for this explanation, I did this and got it - I am now able to drive again! I really appreciate everyone on here helping me out with this. I will put up pics soon.

Chuck
Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rocs, awesome description. That is exactly what I do. It's an iterative process. About 2-3 times usually does it unless you get way off, and need to re-set.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 AM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Chuck, Glad I could help
Rusnak, yes its really not difficult !

Quick Reply: 1985 911 Cannot shift into first and second gears