Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone seen this car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Pete,
I remember the 930! 1976 white/ tan? I remember it in 1980 when that car was still the fastest thing on 4 wheels available from a showroom. You gave me a ride on the 10 in it and I promptly spent the next few weeks getting the same sport seats for my 71 T.

The 914-6 can't be the same one I remember from laps with you at Riverside because if I recall Walt told me that was totalled while on a trailer on the freeway no?

I saw Walt at a get together and we shared some great memories, I still drive by the old shop on Colorado and feel like pulling in for a visit.
Tools and I are still mortal enemies, sure wish you were still in the game.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Pete,
I remember the 930! 1976 white/ tan? I remember it in 1980 when that car was still the fastest thing on 4 wheels available from a showroom. You gave me a ride on the 10 in it and I promptly spent the next few weeks getting the same sport seats for my 71 T.

The 914-6 can't be the same one I remember from laps with you at Riverside because if I recall Walt told me that was totalled while on a trailer on the freeway no?

I saw Walt at a get together and we shared some great memories, I still drive by the old shop on Colorado and feel like pulling in for a visit.
Tools and I are still mortal enemies, sure wish you were still in the game.
Good memory! Very close regarding the 930; it was a '77. The 914/6 that I spoke about was dark blue, the car that was destroyed is actually the red car in my avatar.

That car (I originally built it from the ground up using a stripped, acid-dipped chassis and drove it in POC/PCA events) was owned by Topper Chasse, and he was towing south near Camp Pendelton when he got in an accident in the wee hours of the morning. The car was not totaled, was repaired, and we prepared it for the 1985 IMSA 6-hour Enduro at Riverside Raceway.

Topper and Bob Kirby drove the car, started way back in the field, about 60th, but we finished 17th overall. Great outing. After that the car was at a fabrication shop, for a couple of minor projects, in downtown L.A. Unfortunately the building caught fire and the 914/6 and a few Sunbeam Tigers were completely destroyed. Sad end for a great little car.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

There's your next book Pete, recounting the SoCal P-car scene of those decades.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:37 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I read the OP before scrolling thru the pics, I thought:"I know this car". Working at an indie shop in Chas. SC I had a customer newly relocated from the west coast bring his Carrera in for a basic service. From memory it was visually as you described. Certainly a dead ringer on the color, but a targa.
I've noticed that some cars with resprays can be nice to look at until you get them on a lift and look upward thru the paint. As they are painted at ground level, this is the perspective they are painted and detailed. A good paint job will look good on a lift in the air. This car I speak of was exquisite. I mean it was perfect way beyond the factory's efforts to apply paint. I consider myself a decent visual judge of paint as I have been involved with one of the best Porsche paint guys in the world. He was hired by the "factory" to perform any painting on new cars before they left the Porsche PDC center when it was located in Charleston. The factory took him to Germany several times to consult on how to apply paint. I worked with him closely on several restorations and learned a ton about Porsche paint, painting a Porsche, and paint in general. This dark "eggplant" (metallic) Carrera was easily one of the best resprays I'd ever seen. Upon returning for the car, I asked the owner about the paintwork and he told me the PO had it done and spared no expense. Apparently the PO and him were both proud of it rightfully so. It took a second glance to notice the quality, but then it was hypnotic. It was so good it was boring...like like listening to the Eagles. I never saw the car again, but I wanted another shot at that beauty.
I too like the SoCal Porsche stories...keep them coming. I LOVE early 930s and would love to see a pic of that white over tan example you seek Peter.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Topper Chasse. Amazing guy. I remember you telling me to take my 71t to a track day, you and the whole Redline crew were going to be there and the first one I ever did here in CA was at old Riverside. Topper was head driving instructor or competition director or something, his idea of a driver's meeting was to walk the course!
During the walk he explained the flags, where the corner workers were, the line and safe passing zones. Try getting some of the drivers today to walk a course, OMG, some guys can barelly squeeze into their suits and could really use a good long walk! Topper pointed out all of the track stopping often to look backwards and explain there are several lines but we should seek out landmarks for the ideal line. I'll never forget at the Indy style banked turn (9?) at the very end when Topper said we should all go carefully here hugging the bottom till we feel comfortable, then it is actually a double apex for more experienced drivers, just watch out for any understeer; what is understeer a nice lady asked: Understeer is when you drive into the wall and oversteer is when you back into the wall he says. I have heard it a million times but that was the first.
I also remember that day you won your race Pete by a nose, trailing most of the way but coming off that banking with enough speed to pass at the last minute.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

On one of our days with Pat Long as a coach, we loaded up in the rental car and drove the track, as well as some walking. Very effective for teaching.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:52 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My very first DE instructor said that if he had his way he would make the entire green group walk the track.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

This might be interesting for some of you. The car in my avatar was built by Red Line and I ran it at a few tracks to develop it (1st pic). Then the car was sold, and after more development I co-drove the car (2nd pic) with its next owner.

Then Topper bought the car, we developed it even further, and then - semi-disaster. Topper had the car behind him on an open trailer, and was headed south toward San Diego on a very dark section of freeway. Apparently, somehow, a car ended up stranded in a freeway lane with no lights.

Topper swerved at the last minute, cleared the stalled car with his tow vehicle, but couldn't get the trailer past. The last three pics show the damage from that event, but the car was fixed and raced again.
Attached Images      
Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Hey Pete,
You were always tall and thin, can you still fit into that nomex suit in the photo?!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Hey Pete,
You were always tall and thin, can you still fit into that nomex suit in the photo?!
LOL! Oh, hell no! Racing weight circa 1985 was 185. Today; 215.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
There's your next book Pete, recounting the SoCal P-car scene of those decades.
If only I had kept notes!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a book of the So Cal scene would be awesome. Or Calif in general. With stories about the parts houses such as Automotion, PB Tweeks, the original PP (Performance Products), and BHMA. I would be positively transported by such a book.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Yes, there's the time the 930 was in for a new M/C, and Pete was worried the 5 kilos of coke in the boot were gonna get pinned on him....LOL.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did someone say Riverside? Drove by there just six hours ago. R.I.P.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2011, 09:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh my!

Quick Reply: Anyone seen this car?