Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Billm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel smell

just got my 85 out of storage and find that when I turn it off after driving it I get a strong smell of fuel. No sign of wet fuel anywhere and can not find other source of fuel leak. Any suggestions where to begin?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

injector maybe, was it hard to start back up?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:53 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of things: leaky gas tank level sensor seal, cracked/tired vapor collection lines, cracked overflow tanks, fuel line leak. You will need to poke around a little to isolate it. Here and at the Pelican BBS there are lots of threads on htis topic. Here's one to get you started: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...questions.html
Old 04-27-2011, 10:32 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 164 Posts

There is some kind of vapor cannister in the R/H rear wheelwell which could be the cause of the fumes you are smelling.
Like Harry says,go on the Pelican forum and do a search,lots of good reading and advice !

Cheers!
Phil

Last edited by wildcat077; 04-27-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Billm
Advanced

Thanks for the link, I wil check that out for sure. As for the question of hard starting, no. Left stored for 5 months not started and not on battery tender and it started right up on first turn of the key

Fuel smesll has been present since I got the car in October. Checked the fuel tank and could not get any sign of fuel around it, return lines under hood seem good... Did not know about the evap canister in the rear wheel well. Tonights job I guess.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better check around the fuel pump area!

Doyle
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,060 Likes on 756 Posts

its a Carrera .. it has that small fuel line that can rupture . it has cauzed quite a few fires in fact .. you guys have talked about it here many times berfore. i don't have a carrera but am surprised no one mentioned it specificaly
Old 04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I can tell you that , in my experience (on my '89), I was fortunate to have replaced ALL of the fuel lines at the rear (engine) while we had the engine down...found (albeit, non-leaking, ORIGINAL 1989 hose...felt good to KNOW that was addressed,..and PREVENTIVELY !!!!!!!!!!!

However (and "further on up the road"), I started getting wisps of fuel smell that would go away whilst driving. Nothing showing under the car....later, we removed the fuel pump (area) cover and found a hose that was leaking at it's crimp...therein the big research of how to repair this WITHOUT having to frick with the tunnel stuff. My P-wrench took care of it, replacing ALL of the hoses underneath...also replacing a fully functional ORIGINAL 1989 fuel pump (well,..as best I could tell,...since he didn't get any pressure readings on the old pump prior to removal,..but he did take the pressure readings on the NEWLY installed pump===good-2-go.) No more fuel smell.....I've kept the original pump (she's +22 years old!)

I've been wanting to get back under her,..remove that plate and take some pics of his repair.........am recovering from shoulder surgery so things have been slow......sure is NICE to NOT smell petro!!!!!!!

As mentioned by other posters, the sources can be many...just wanted to share my recents with gas.

Best!

Doyle
Old 04-27-2011, 06:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,060 Likes on 756 Posts

my recent experience with gas was unlike Doyles .. it included 3 Buritos and a couple of beers ..
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

you, funny,..Itheiceman.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Billm
Advanced

Icetheman where is this small line that ruptures? Parked this evening and no smell till about 15 minutes later. Seems the odor is coming from inside engine compartment and not the front or inner fender locations where canisters etc are. Still have not found the source for certain...
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Mine's a SC, not a Carrera but...

I seem to recall there is a fuel line or a vent line (can't remember which) that runs down the center of the car through the tunnel. I just recall a strong fuel smell in my cabin. The line through the tunnel had a crack in it. This was more than 20 years ago so maybe someone can confirm that there is indeed a line that runs through that tunnel. If so, it's a straight shot into the cabin for the fumes.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:14 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

So, you're smelling gas when you open the engine compartment? Rev her a bit while watching the engine compartment and all of the possible fuel leak points in the rear....this is NOT a favorable area for a leak. Sometimes these vapors can trick you as to where they're coming from (especially if you don't actually see gas escaping from some specific point. I'd still eliminate any connections down in the fuel pump area. Should you be smelling gas upon opening the rear hatch, hopefully you'll be able to "see" where it may be dripping.

Not sure about your year, but the tunnel material (for fuel) is plastic (of sorts?), IIRC. I sure hope you don't have a leak in that monster of an area as the tunnel,..I'm hoping it's OUTSIDE of the tunnel, somewhere.

Best of luck...

Doyle
Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Do a search on "Carrera Engine Fuel Line Replacement" there is a good post marked DIY with parts schematic with fuel lines that are usually replaced with an engine drop.

The diagram may help you look for the leak.

If you don't have one Get a fire extinguisher!
Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by dshepp806

Not sure about your year, but the tunnel material (for fuel) is plastic (of sorts?), IIRC. I sure hope you don't have a leak in that monster of an area as the tunnel,..I'm hoping it's OUTSIDE of the tunnel, somewhere.

Best of luck...

Doyle
That's what I recall from my experience with this. It was a plastic hose that had cracked inside the tunnel. You could smell the gas everywhere but especially inside the passenger compartment. I hope it's not there as well.

I recalled (finally) that I do have all my maintenance records on computer back to 1984. I went back and checked and sure enough it's there.

"REPAIR FUEL TANK VENT LINE (INSIDE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT)"

$17.74 for parts and $240 for labor and this was in 1988.

Quick Reply: Fuel smell