'69-73 Weights vs. 77+ Weights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 02:52 AM
Michael O'Neal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '69-73 Weights vs. 77+ Weights

Hi all,

Iooking to build an autocrosser out of an early 911. In the class I'm running it in, I can pick just about any model I want that's non-turbo and below 3.2 liters. So, that means I can put the bumpers and ducktail on of the RS if I want to, and shave some weight. So, my main question is, are the big, clunky bumpers the only significant weight penalty on the later model cars? If that's the case, I can look at SC's for donor cars, and get them down to fighting weight with new bumpers and the removal of the seats. Does anyone actually have weights (In lbs) on these different model years?

Thanks,
Old 06-12-2003, 03:59 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Michael:

These cars really vary in weight between years due to optional equipment, door beams, carpet and insulation, and bumper equipment.

I'd make a non-sunroof car a top priority for sure! That's about 52 lbs, all on top.

All things being equal, here are some guidelines: 72's are in the 2250 range, 73's are in the 2350 range, 74's are in the 2350 range, 75-77's are in the 2550 range, SC's are around 2550-2650, and Carrera's run between 2650 and 2850.

A few notes,............72's have small oil tanks and no guard beams in the doors, 73's have door beams, a bigger oil tank, 74's have larger oil capaicity yet and with bumper crush tubes (not dampers) are really light, 75-77 cars have bumper dampers, lots of sound deadening and heavy carpets/interiors, 78's have flares, bigger rear wheels, heavier engines and similar interiors as the 77's. Carrera's are heavily optioned and have more complex heating & cooling systems.

Installing FB bumpers, simplifying the interior, and race-type seats really levels the playing field.

Personal preferences play a big role here as one can update/backdate components to suit,..... I'd tell you that for AutoX, a REALLY good suspension setup will be a good investment.

Hope this helps,
Old 06-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Lefty's Deceiver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting post. I have a '74 and would like to remove the impact bumpers but as I understand it it is major mission. If you look carefully the hood needs to be replaced and the front fenders need to be changed (because of the light assembly). Does anyone know how to do this, how much it costs (roughly) etc?

My '74 has a RS spec 2.7 so if I could get the bumpers changed I would have a decent RS replica.

Lefty

Quick Reply: '69-73 Weights vs. 77+ Weights