Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Mixing Brake Pad Compunds (F/R)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 09:18 AM
mm86911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mixing Brake Pad Compunds (F/R)

Planning for upcoming track event and inquiring if anyone has experience with mixing brake pad compounds (different material front and rear).

Will be testing following setup:

(F) Hawk Blue
(R) Hawk HP Plus

Taking the spare HP Plus pads for the front in case the results are undesirable. I am aware of the need to get some heat into the Blues before they start to grip (compared to the HP Plus). Primary concern is car balance coming off 140 mph straight.

Done several DEs with both stock pads (fade far too quickly at Road Atlanta) and Hawk HP Plus. Last August with 95 ambient and 135 track temps I was experiencing alot of fade in the front with the HP Plus pads. Had to bleed the front calipers at end of each day.

From what I from remember in August seemed that the rears were dusting MORE than the fronts.

BTW - Calipers are fresh rebuilt stock, fresh rotors, dust shields removed and running ATE Blue fluid.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:51 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My opinion: Go for it! ...I've done it several times with Pagids on front, Porterfield rear, event Pagids on rear and FACTORY on the front!!

Of course, the fronts were BIG Reds.

Just keep a close "butt feeling" on fade front to rear, etc. and decide what's gonna work and what's not.

Quick Reply: Mixing Brake Pad Compunds (F/R)