Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

rebuild '80SC

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 10:15 AM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm.....It's hard to imagine something happening so quickly that would cause excessive oil burning. And you say the smoke is white huh?

How does the motor run otherwise?
Old 02-20-2002, 11:19 AM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A buddy of mine had something similar happen to his SC, all of a sudden smoke everywhere. A popular shop in the area quoted him an engine rebuild as a fix. The second opinion found a bad oil return tube and fixed him up nice a cheap.

Of course, this might not be your problem, but hopefully you will not get taken by an opportunistic mechanic.

Best of luck

Chris
Old 02-20-2002, 09:47 PM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a simply question: Have you confirmed where the smoke is coming from? Is it coming from the exhaust pipe, or from under the engine somewhere?
Old 02-20-2002, 11:11 PM
rayjay...'80SC
Advanced

I let it idle last night for a little over an hour and it still smokes white. The smoke comes from the exhaust pipe. The engine idles pretty smooth under 2k rpm but has a little skip around 3k, and smoke increases proportionately with rpm.
I've asked around and found someone that several folks have recommended to be honest. I'll drop it off this weekend and let him see what he thinks. BTW, I bought this on Ebay last May from Sacramento. Its well documented and pampered, with tensioner, pop-off valve, a/c upgrades & great stereo/cd. A truely beautiful metallic
black with cork interior, sunroof coupe. The transmission is a little stiff going into second and will probably need some work sometime. Thanks again, folks, for your input...rayjay
Old 02-23-2002, 09:45 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
why guess? nothing better than a compression test and a leakdown to tell you what's gone wrong....or not
Old 02-24-2002, 01:19 PM
rayjay...'80SC
Advanced

I agree...I dropped my car off yesterday and should hear something early this week...I'm really hoping for a bad oil return tube...thx.

Quick Reply: rebuild '80SC