Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

water on inside of windshield of 80 911sc

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water on inside of windshield of 80 911sc

My 80 911 sc keeps having droplets appear on the inside of the windshield on the passenger side when its raining out(raining moderate to hard).

I replaced the windshield seal last fall and its in there tight. Trying to decide where the water could be coming from.. it just sort of pools up in the lower most corner area. I just don't see how water could come from outside to inside and end up there. Nothing else is damp or even wet inside the windshield.

I also replaced all 3 seals in the sunroof and ran a plastic weed eater line thru all 4 drain holes so i know they are all 4 clear.

Any ideas ?

Tom
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've still got a leak around that seal somewhere. did you install it or a professional glass installer. If a professional...take it back. Or you may have gotten a smaller size of seal. There were some floating around (no pun) a couple of years ago. always get the Porsche seal, not after market.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I would spray water at the spot where it looks to be getting in and move up the wind screen until you can replicate it. I had the same problem on the driver side of my 81 and I had it resealed but it hardly ever got rained on so I don't know if that fixed it or not.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:50 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I did the replacement myself. I'm just baffled by how water could make it from the outside to the inside like that. I went to great lengths to make sure the seal was in good all the way around. When the weather gets a little warmer, I will grab the hose and try applying water pressure on the seal outside and work my way around as you state until i can see the dribble.

Tom
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Arctic1
Advanced

I have a similar problem with my 1980 SC. Purchased mine from a certified Porsche tech who said that even the smallest of wrinkles will cause problems.

Mine leaks infrequently (mainly cause it infrequently sees rain) so I have no plans on fixing it.

jb

Quick Reply: water on inside of windshield of 80 911sc