Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Gas fumes / Exhaust fumes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 09:03 PM
Dickran
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gas fumes / Exhaust fumes

Two days ago I posted a note saying I was leaking oil & an oil smell was coming into the cabin.
I was contemplating a re-build cuz of the oil leakage...but my garage floor tells me the leakage is about the same as its always been. My mechanic tells me its increased a bit and leaking on my heater box giving me an oil smell when I pull up on the red heater lever...BUT I DONT think it smells like oil...to my nose it smells like exhaust.

I had the car out today and she ran fine & felt strong EXCEPT I smell gas / gas fumes around the car after parking and for a while thereafter AND I CANT use my heat cuz when I pull up on the heater lever it smells like I'm getting exhaust fumes in the car....

My mechanic told me I had no gas leaks & the exhaust smell was the oil leaking on the heat exchangers...

Am I nuts?
When I pulled the car in the garage & it set for 5 minutes the gas smell was bad/fairly strong.

Also, you would think after driving 5-10 miles any oil that leaked onto the exchangers would have blown off or been burned off, but no still that damned exhaust smell in the cabin with the heater level up....

I'm going to get a second opinion I think this next week...

Dick
Old 12-29-2002, 11:11 PM
fusionsport
Instructor

You can get a gas smell from several places in a 911 and this is something to take very very seriosly. Your mechanic might not be able to find a gas leak or seep without quite a bit of effort- esp if he isnt used to the CIS sysytem your car should have. There are few mechanics around now that have any real understanding of CIS, and there arent likely to be many more coming about since the system has been out of production for over 15 years- maybe longer.
A couple of things to help is to clean the engine as well as you can without drowning it and doing more harm than good- and try to be very sparing of the severe cleaning agents like castrol super clean- they can corrode the alloys used in your motor. Next clean all visible fuel lines and fittings and look for any that look a bit hard and cracked. One problem with a small fuel leak is that the engine is running while there is pressure to the system, and the engine heat causes it to evaporate rather quickly. Hence when you look for it there isnt enough pressure to get more than a bit of dampness, which will evaporate around the hot engine, and when the engine cools, there isnt pressure enough for the sysytem to leak. You can also get a fuel/exhaust smell if there is a leak into the heat exchangers, or if there is a small leak in the heating ducts that allows exhaust to be sucked in-
In any event- I suggest you have someone- your mechanic or whomever- look over the heating and fuel system very closely, and not stop until they have found the source of the leak/s.
Old 12-30-2002, 09:39 PM
Dickran
AutoX

Thanks Fusion, I took it in to a different shop today...another set of eyes, different perspective...I'll let you know what happens.

I knew oil would have smelled different, but I use LM motor protect as an additive to the oil & I didnt know if that could be causing the smell.

Anyway we'll see in a few days if he finds anything.

D

Quick Reply: Gas fumes / Exhaust fumes