Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

exhaust headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 01:49 PM
ccoleymd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question exhaust headers

If emission control is not a problem, does anyone have any advice on replacing my stock heat exchangers for straight headers, cat bypass pipe and Bursch muffler on an 82 SC???
How loud will the car be, and what about performance?
Thank you.
Chris
'82 911SC
Old 10-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Why would you use a cat bypass with straight headers? You're going to remove the cat if emissions are not a concern, right? Just hook an early sport muffler up to the headers (with some street extensions if necessary) and go for it.

This is a really good upgrade for an SC engine. You will see 15 HP improvement, minimum. If you use a standard, early, 2-in-1-out "hot-dog" muffler, it will not even be loud. I used a gutted one on my 3.0 with SSIs and it never got over 92db measured at 50', which is the noise level limit at my local venue. The 2-in-2-out sport muffler is a little louder.

TT
Old 10-26-2002, 02:34 PM
ccoleymd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tom. Can you give me some suggestions on a muffler? Where can I find one?
Old 10-26-2002, 09:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by ccoleymd:
<strong>If emission control is not a problem, does anyone have any advice on replacing my stock heat exchangers for straight headers, cat bypass pipe and Bursch muffler on an 82 SC???
How loud will the car be, and what about performance?
Thank you.
Chris
'82 911SC</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Chris:

I would recommend the dual-on/dual-out Monty sport muffler and its FAR better in power output than the Bursch, not to mention longevity,....
Old 10-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by ccoleymd:
<strong>Thanks Tom. Can you give me some suggestions on a muffler? Where can I find one?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you want stainless steel, the Monty suggested by Steve is the best choice, I think. Combined with some SSI heat exchangers, you will have a great, long lasting exhaust system.

If you want a cheap sport muffler, just buy an old, stock hot-dog type, available new for $200 at dcAutomotive or used for $50-75 or so (they're on Ebay all the time or go to a junkyard or swapmeet) and then convert it using the old PCA Up-fixing article I have archived on my website at <a href="http://members.rennlist.com/tweedt/sptmuff.jpg" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.com/tweedt/sptmuff.jpg</a>
This might cost $75-100 more for a competent welder to do.

Good luck,
TT
Old 10-31-2002, 07:39 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve,

While you recommend the dual in/dual out Monty, is there a significant power loss with the dual in/single out Monty? My preference at this time would be not to have to modify the rear valence - unless, of course doing so for the dual out would substantially add power. As usual, Steve, thank you in advance!
Old 11-01-2002, 02:29 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by john d 81SC:
<strong>Steve,

While you recommend the dual in/dual out Monty, is there a significant power loss with the dual in/single out Monty? My preference at this time would be not to have to modify the rear valence - unless, of course doing so for the dual out would substantially add power. As usual, Steve, thank you in advance!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi John:

On street-type engines, I've not seen any power difference between the single outlet Monty & the dual outlet ones. The biggest difference is noise level.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:30 PM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve,

I'm curious re: your opinion of the Dansk mufflers in general. Aren't/weren't they the OEM for Porsche? How do you think they compare to the Monty for longevity and peformance, especially for the 3.0 L cars like the SC? Once again, thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: exhaust headers